Oct 17, 2015
Okay I need help. Please and thanks.
Pc build:
I7 7700k
Gtx 1060
Asus strix z270h mobo
Corsair ram 16gb
Thermaltake 850w

So recently when my pc would go to sleep I would not be able to wake it up without unplugging it and plugging it back in. But today that did not work. Cpu_led was red when trying to boot. Tried everything to fix, cleared cmos, switched out ram, etc. so I ended up picking up a cpu to test my machine with (i5 9400) but when I tried to boot no boot led pops up. No red light, no green light. Doesn’t post. So again with i7 red cpu light pops up. But with brand new cpu no light pops up and it still doesn’t post. So I’m wondering if it could be both my cpu and my mobo. My cpu seems to have had some resistors broken or melted off the back of it as well. Please any help would be amazing. If you need more info lmk
https://ibb.co/nC650jS
(Link to picture of back of i7)

Jrod_34

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
The i9 is not compatible with your board, Only 6th and 7th gen CPUs.
Ahhh okay I will make sure to get a different one to test out. Does it seem like it’s probably the cpu?

Jrod_34

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
My first thought from your description of how this came on over time and the symptoms is a psu fault that has eventually killed the motherboard. It’s a guess but that’s where I would start.
See but the only thing is that the board still appears to be receiving power, even when connected to another psu