[SOLVED] PC won’t post with newer same spec RAM

Nov 4, 2019
Hi all,
I am having some real problems with getting some newer DDR3 RAM working in my 5 year old machine.

My PC is now starting to feel its age and, up until now, I have been using 2 sticks of HyperX Beast DDR3 8GB 2400 (KHX24C11T3K2/16X). I’m using an Asus Z97-A motherboard which supports up to 32Gb, so bought another pair of 8Gb sticks. Obviously, as this is old ram, I had to go with second hand so the closest I could find was HyperX Savage 2400 (HX324C11SRK2/16).

Problem is that it will not even post with this new ram. I have tried everything I can think of - disabling XMP, using just 1 stick, resetting the bios with the jumper, using the Asus MEMOK button. Nothing seems to work, but as soon as I put the old ram back in, it’s perfectly fine.

I know Savage ram is newer than Beast, but I found plenty of examples of people using it with this motherboard when I googled it, including one review on Overclock3D with the same combination.

Please tell me that I am missing something obvious! All I can think of is that the new ram is faulty, but it was sold as tested and it seems unlikely that both sticks would be broken.

Solution
Then it's totally dead..

Given:

Motherboard works. No issues with slots.
Old ram functions as intended either single or dual stick
New ram, only one stick works, single or paired with old.
New ram, one stick does not work at all, either by itself or combined with new or old sticks.

Get your money back.
When you mixed the RAM, even they have the same speed/timing, you get 50-50% chance the RAM will or will not work well together.

You may try to boot the PC with your old RAM, then manually set the timing in the BIOS memory section, from 2400mhz 11-13-13 1.65V to 2133mhz, 11-13-13, 1.60V. Save and shot down the PC, add the new RAM, boot the PC again to see what happens.

Nov 4, 2019
When you mixed the RAM, even they have the same speed/timing, you get 50-50% chance the RAM will or will not work well together.

You may try to boot the PC with your old RAM, then manually set the timing in the BIOS memory section, from 2400mhz 11-13-13 1.65V to 2133mhz, 11-13-13, 1.60V. Save and shot down the PC, add the new RAM, boot the PC again to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion. After trying that I have now managed to get one of the sticks working, but the other one still refuses to do anything, even in the same slot. Not sure what else to try now!

Try update the chipset driver either from intel or asus site, if you did do it yet. Or try up the voltage little bit to 1.61V or 1.62V. Or tweak the timing to 12-13-13 or even 13-13-13, etc.

Or update the BIOS too, but keep in mind, if you don't do it right, you may brick the MB, so think twice before do it.

If you still have the same problem, that means the RAM refused to work together.

Nov 4, 2019
Tried everything I can think of and now have the 2 old sticks + 1 of the new ones working with XMP enabled. As soon as I add the 4th it refuses to do anything again though. Thinking I might need to accept that is the best I’m going to get

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then it's totally dead..

Given:

Motherboard works. No issues with slots.
Old ram functions as intended either single or dual stick
New ram, only one stick works, single or paired with old.
New ram, one stick does not work at all, either by itself or combined with new or old sticks.

Get your money back.

Solution