[SOLVED] PC won’t power on even after new PSU, MoBo & CPU

monster44alien44

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Hey friends. I posted a week or so ago on reddit saying that my PC randomly shut off & wouldn’t turn back on.
I was told to check my power supply & that potentially that or my Motherboard were somehow damaged.
I initially purchased a new motherboard & processor, went with an AMD Ryzen 3600 & an ASRock b450. Everything went in fine & I go to test it out & still the issue persists. All that will happen is that I flick on the power button on the PSU, a little light I have on my NZXT RGB controller will turn on & when I hit the power button on my Case, the processor fan moves a little & then nothin.
So, I thought it must be my PSU, I order a new one, reconnect everything & the SAME issue persists. Only now this time the PSU makes a what sounds like an electric charge sound when I press on the power button after I try to boot it up.
Am I having the WORST luck with PCs or am I missing something?
To my knowledge everything is plugged in completely & it is all compatible. Thanks

Solution
ALso make sure youre connection to the outlet or surge protector is GROUNDED. Must have the 3 prongs. It should still work though even if its not grounded, just will shock you is you touch metal.
If it turns on and then shuts off shortly after thats fine, could just be the gpu is out and cannot display an image therefore doesnt post. Could be ram, could be ssd or hdd. Lots of factors. Just do alot of tests and try to narrow it down.

monster44alien44

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Welp, not sure what happened but I waited & tried to turn it on again, powered up fine for about 10 seconds then I heard a sound, saw a literal puff of smoke & it shut down. Assuming it was my GPU since that was what I could find as the source of the smell.

monster44alien44

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
motherboard box have the sticker that said support 3000 series?
Yes, but I don’t think that is the issue somehow. I have this problem now:

Welp, not sure what happened but I waited & tried to turn it on again, powered up fine for about 10 seconds then I heard a sound, saw a literal puff of smoke & it shut down. Assuming it was my GPU since that was what I could find as the source of the smell.

I can assume, not good.

Apr 10, 2020
Definitely check the gpu, if you do not have a spare or old one to test, try to borrow one. Other than that check your pwoer source, are you plugged directly into wall, using surge protector? If youve replaced mobo, cpu, and psu, you should not have this error. your gpu could be shorting out or something , unplug it and press the power button, see if fans spin or lights come on. Use a different outlet. I really hope that your gpu hasnt somehow ruined other parts. im not an expert either tho.

Apr 10, 2020
ALso make sure youre connection to the outlet or surge protector is GROUNDED. Must have the 3 prongs. It should still work though even if its not grounded, just will shock you is you touch metal.
If it turns on and then shuts off shortly after thats fine, could just be the gpu is out and cannot display an image therefore doesnt post. Could be ram, could be ssd or hdd. Lots of factors. Just do alot of tests and try to narrow it down.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS