Question Pc won’t power on

Shmo

Prominent
Jan 20, 2021
I have had my PC for almost 2 years, nothing ever went mechanically wrong. After getting home, I pressed the power button, and nothing. No lights or movement of fans, or even sounds. I checked my power supply with a paper clip on the 24 pin cord and it works, the pc powered on with lights and fans. But when I plug the 24 pin into the motherboard (did about 3 times pressing as hard as I can) it never actually turned on. I tried putting a screwdriver on the 2 power switch pins to turn it on, and that didn’t work. I’m stumped and I need help from the experts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

Was it running when you left the house then came home to it off? I would look at the motherboard and make sure none of the caps have popped/cracked/leaking etc. Paper clip test was a good start but that does not always prove a power supply is good/not defective.

Shmo

Prominent
Jan 20, 2021
No it was off all day and I tried to turn it on getting home. Nothing wrong with the caps. I tried many things and I’m fairly sure it’s either a dead CMOS battery or some motherboard malfunction. The power supply could still be a possibility, not sure how to check.

D

Deleted member 362816

Dead cmos battery won't stop it from booting would only throw a error. What is the motherboard and how old is it? Also what brand/size this the power supply.

Do a clear CMOS to get rid of any overclocking.
Take the GPU out (if you have a F CPU,there won’t be any monitor image but this is not the immediate problem)
Leave only one RAM stick in A2.
Try to boot. You will visually see if something changed

Shmo

Prominent
Jan 20, 2021
Take the GPU out (if you have a F CPU,there won’t be any monitor image but this is not the immediate problem)
Thanks, I will try this when I get home

Shmo

Prominent
Jan 20, 2021
This ended up working, however I am unsure why it worked and what to do next. There is a red light next to DDR4 on the motherboard after turning my PC on.

TRENDING THREADS