[SOLVED] PC won’t start after upgrading RAM, and now the old RAM doesn’t work either

WestG

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
I have an ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS GAMING motherboard with an Intel i5 8600k, and I tried to upgrade from Ballistix 2x4gb DDR4 RAM with 2666Mhz speed, to Corsair Vengance LPX 2x16gb DDR4 RAM with 3200Mhz speed. First, I tried just taking the old RAM out and sticking the new ones in, in the same slots, but the PC wouldn’t start. The RGB lights in the motherboard lights up when I power on the power supply, but otherwise nothing happens. I then tried reseting the CMOS since that solved a separate problem I had with the RAM a few days ago, but no luck. Then I tried putting the old RAM in, and the same problem, the PC wont start at all. I then tried again with several different combinations of one stick and two sticks in different slots, but again no result.

I am certain the RAM sticks were properly in place. Any suggestions to what I can try?

Solution
Another thought to add:

Double check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and verify that you used the correct memory installation process/sequence.

There may be a requirement that the first physically installed RAM module be placed in a specific RAM slot.

Followed by the remaining RAM modules as applicable to the supported RAM configurations.
I guess you reset the CMOS properly with the power cord disconnected and power drained from the unit? You might try that again with the original memory and if it boots make sure all the settings are at default to start with. PS, Are the sicks in A2,B2 per manual?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Another thought to add:

Double check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and verify that you used the correct memory installation process/sequence.

There may be a requirement that the first physically installed RAM module be placed in a specific RAM slot.

Followed by the remaining RAM modules as applicable to the supported RAM configurations.

Solution

WestG

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
I guess you reset the CMOS properly with the power cord disconnected and power drained from the unit? You might try that again with the original memory and if it boots make sure all the settings are at default to start with. PS, Are the sicks in A2,B2 per manual?
Unfortunately I already tried this several times with both the old and new memory. And yes, the sticks are in the right slots for sure.

WestG

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Another thought to add:

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked the manual but it didn't say anything about the installation process/sequence apart from recommending to use the A2 and B2 slots which I already was doing (altough I have tried A1 and B1 as well).

WestG

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Ok, so I have no idea how, but the problem is solved. After trying to fix the problem for 2 hours I had pretty much given up for today, so I decided to just re-insert the new RAM and put the computer away for now. As I put it away i plugged in it and tried to power it up one last time as a hail mary, and lo and behold it worked. I honestly have no clue what caused it to work, but I'm not complaining!