Question Pc won’t start

Feb 13, 2019
Recently bought a used mobo off eBay.. other parts suffered a recent surge but I’ve tested the psu, gpu, HDd/sdd and they are working fine.

Having a strange issue where the pc would start up, fans running for a few seconds, switches off. Starts up again for about half a second and switches off 4 times. So 1 long start followed by 4 short starts and repeats indefinitely. No beeping sounds, I only hear it clicking on and off.. there is a mobo speaker attached but I can’t confirm whether it works since the aforementioned surge. I’ll try post a vid of the problem later.

Ga-b85-hd3 rev 2
R9 290x? Lost the box so not sure
3ripjaws, 1 Kingston ddr3
Corsair rm650x

Feb 13, 2019
Habe anotber mobo available to test?
I have, but It’s one I can’t confirm if it works since it was discarded and I’ve never been able to get it to boot. Idle power light does glow. It wasnt able to boot, but it I unplugged the cpu cable, the fans start to run when I try turn it on which makes me think the cpu might be the culprit.
Every other part of the build definitely works since I’ve been able to run it on a test build. Only ones that are suspect is the mobo and cpu.

Feb 13, 2019
I'm leaning toward the mobo. Double check to see if the pins are straight and not bent for the cpu. Also, ensure its snug on the board and try that out. Let me know what happens.
I try stay away from the cpu area as I don’t have the steadiest of hands, but I Managed to get someone to lend me their 1150cpu and it seemed to work fine after a bios update to get the graphics card to work.was hoping that the update would get my cpu to work but no luck. Pretty sure it’s the cpu. Thanks for the help.

Feb 13, 2019
The CPU you have.... is that compatible with the MOBO you had bought used?
Yes, It’s on the approved list of cpus on the gigabyte website. It’s an i5-4690k. Wanted to do an upgrade from my first gen build but I can’t afford all new parts. This way I get to salvage everything but the mobo and cpu. Would there be much difference when gaming from upgrading the cpu from i7 950 to i5 4690/k?

TRENDING THREADS