Question Pc wont “work” after full windows 10 reset

Mortenjin

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Hello! My pc was acting wierd and giving me alot of blue screens with sad faces on it so i decided to reset it and delete all files. Somehow that has equated to deleting the abillity to open my home menu and file search, meaning i dont know how to get to settings, and it has deleted “ms-settings” so i cant access the through my screen settings wich i can rightclick on my screen. I can access computer files and the HDD because of the “documents” logo on the task bar. Its acting really wierd and i cant find a setup guide to getting it ti work again.

Its a Lenovo 15” (fancy names)
It has a 1TB HDD
1060 with MAXQ design
8 gigs of ram

And thats just about what i remember of the top of my head 😅

If this happened to me, I'd restore from a recent full system backup I've made. If you don't have a backup, you probably need to back up your files and device drivers and do a clean install of Windows. First though, try opening a command prompt and issuing these two commands:
  • SFC /Scannow
  • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Mortenjin

Commendable
May 21, 2016
If this happened to me, I'd restore from a recent full system backup I've made. If you don't have a backup, you probably need to back up your files and device drivers and do a clean install of Windows. First though, try opening a command prompt and issuing these two commands:
  • SFC /Scannow

Hello, thanks for the help! I will try those prompts tomorrow morning! Can you let me know EXACTLY how they need to be typed out in command prompt? Im a total noob at that, obly mastered the “IPconfig” for router playing

Also i fired it up again after i got your message (but GF and baby had a louder call than IT fixing) and it gave me this error C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."
And then it gave me a blackscreen as my background on my pc. It still loaded my only visual “app” the garbage bin. And ofc the useless task bar, this time however, no folder was loaded

Sooo regretting that i did this reset even though it was bluescreening at random 😣😣

Mortenjin

Commendable
May 21, 2016
  • SFC /Scannow
SFC sats i need to be admin
Dims says error 740 run elevated command prompt

Click Start and type CMD. Then on the menu you get right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator . Then type the two commands like I posted them.
I have to add that I don't know why you got the message about the unavailable location. That sounds like your user profile has gotten corrupted somehow. The SFC command may be able to straighten that out if you're lucky. If not, you might have to create another user profile.
Let me just say that you're seeing just a few of the many many reasons we need to make full system backups.

Mortenjin

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Click Start and type CMD. Then on the menu you get right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator . Then type the two commands like I posted them.
I have to add that I don't know why you got the message about the unavailable location. That sounds like your user profile has gotten corrupted somehow. The SFC command may be able to straighten that out if you're lucky. If not, you might have to create another user profile.
Let me just say that you're seeing just a few of the many many reasons we need to make full system backups.
But i cant use the start menu i can only get the CMD up via windows key+R

Colif

Win 11 Master
if reset broke the PC and you deleted all files/settings, I would just do a clean install as you got nothing to lose

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: How to Clean install win 10

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Much faster than to try to fix a broken install.

Another choice is a repair install -- https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Somehow that has equated to deleting the abillity to open my home menu and file search, it has deleted “ms-settings” so i cant access the through my screen settings wich i can rightclick on my screen.
Can you provide any screenshots illustrating your problem?
What is "home menu"?
What do you mean by inability to access file search?
Why do you need "ms-settings"? Can't you just open settings app?

Seems to me like settings just got reset to defaults. Reinstallation of windows will not change anything there.

Mortenjin

Commendable
May 21, 2016
if reset broke the PC and you deleted all files/settings, I would just do a clean install as you got nothing to lose

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: How to Clean install win 10

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Much faster than to try to fix a broken install.

Another choice is a repair install -- https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
HEllo. i did this today when i finally had time to sit down with my old laptop, and do the USB hard re-install. NOW! comes the fun part!
Midway through the installation of windows 10 through the USB Drive it gets a blue screen sad face and restarts. Now, here is what is happening.
It comes up with a error window and says ''install windows - the PC restartede unexpectetly or hit an unexpected error. The windows installation can not continue. If you want to install windows, click OK to restart the PC and afterwards continue installing windows.'' I can ONLY Restart my PC to attempt to re-install windows. However, it always pops up with that window. no chance of getting passed it. I cannot do anything with my PC right now other than being stuck in a constant loop of rebooting the PC .