Pc won't (always) shut down

boby0804

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hi,

my problem:
After using my new pc for a few hours, I shut it down from windows, however, only the monitor shuts off, the power led and the fans stay on, and the hard drive led periodically blinks.
The reset button works, I can reboot the system with it. It normally starts, and I can shut it down again before I sign in without any problem.
What I've noticed is that in the first instance my hdd doesn't spin up, but on the 2nd shut down attempt it does.

My conf:
Mb: asus IMPACT
RAM: 1600Mhz 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Cpu: Intel i5 4670
VGA: asus R7 260x
Main drive: Samsung evo 250G
Secondary drive: WD 1 Terabyte (ezrx)
Psu: corsair RM 550

Sidenote: I did run asus 4way opt in ai suite, which screwed up my processor clock pretty badly ( decreased it to 800MHz ), but I set back the defaults in the bios, and it's 3400 again. However I don't know if I succeeded completely resetting it, or do I need to do something else.

Thank you for helping!

jonsmith9847

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Force shutdown: Hold power button for ten seconds and your computer will fully switch off. Although if your using fast boot it will cause your PC to boot at normal speed when you power it on so i would suggest your reset your CMOS. Make sure you move the pin over for at least 10 seconds and your mains power is disconnected to restore all your ram settings and CPU ratios back to stock speeds and all of your system settings to normal.

Hope this helps!

boby0804

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

It helped. At least for now. However, I had also tried disabeling the ALPM and it also worked.
I reset the CMOS for other reasons ("amd driver stopped working and has recovered"), but at least my PC shuts down normally.