[SOLVED] PC won't boot after adding memory

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The PC has a single Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 8G stick on Asus P8Z77-V running i5-3570K. I bought 3 more white brand 8G rated DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 and the PC won't even post. I tried all kinds of combination and eventually even the original Kingston alone won't boot. I had to force reset and keep changing slots to get the PC back to boot again and now the PC only boot without any overclock.

I got what I deserved for trying white brand DRAM. The question is that I was having trouble even plugging the original Kingston back, so something probably went wrong with the MB and I was lucky to even got it working again. Is it worth the effort and money to give it another try but using Kingston instead of white brand? I could use at least another 8G but I figure probably just 12 months at most when we know what is needed for DirectStorage and I will build a new machine so maybe I should just stay put and don't risk it?

It's been a while for me but when did it become so complicated to plug in new DRAM?

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

Solution

lynx1021

Distinguished
I am afraid your board requires low density DDR3 (Double-sided R2)ram in the 8GB size, It is not hardly being made anymore. You may be able to find some used on eBay. Here is a link to the QVL list on your motherboard. Only these part numbers are guaranteed to work from your board manufactures website. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V/P8Z77-V_DRAM_QVL_1101.pdf. You will have to search to see if you can find any available. I had the same issue with my old Core Duo board but I found some on eBay that worked great. One part number is a 16GB kit, Kingston KHX16C10B1K2/16X, Ebay : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=KHX16C10B1K2/16X&_sacat=0

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am afraid your board requires low density DDR3 (Double-sided R2)ram in the 8GB size, It is not hardly being made anymore. You may be able to find some used on eBay. Here is a link to the QVL list on your motherboard. Only these part numbers are guaranteed to work from your board manufactures website. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V/P8Z77-V_DRAM_QVL_1101.pdf. You will have to search to see if you can find any available. I had the same issue with my old Core Duo board but I found some on eBay that worked great. One part number is a 16GB kit, Kingston KHX16C10B1K2/16X, Ebay : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=KHX16C10B1K2/16X&_sacat=0

The white brand sticks I got has chips on both sides and the specs are, on paper, identical to my Kingston under CPU-Z according to the vendor. My Kingston won't show the manufacturer of the chips under CPU-Z. The only difference is that it has much bigger PCB. The vendor has two kinds of sticks, a so called high board and a low board but only the high boards are in stock. The Kingston is low board I guess. Thankfully the vendor I bought it from has a no question asked refund and exchange policy so I got a RMA. I am very reluctant to try ebay after this.

After reading more posts about memory issues on this board I am pretty spooked now. I have no idea DRAM compatibility has gotten so ridiculously complicated. DRAM used to be the easiest thing to upgrade buying used.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Last edited:

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I looked at the Kingston memory finder and it showed memory still available. See here and click on load more to see the 8GB pairs https://www.kingston.com/unitedstates/en/memory/search?model=77010&devicetype=7&mfr=ASU&line=P8 Motherboard.
Also they showed 9 different variations of your board, is it the plain P8Z77-V or Deluxe,LE,LE Plus,LK,LX,LX2, Excetera. It could make a difference. What is the EXACT model and revision????

Thanks for the head up. It's Asus P8Z77-V LX. Should the MB model and revision even matter? Isn't DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 1.5V an industry standard?

I found the same Kingston model but after having to experiment so many BIOS/slot combos just to get the original stick working again I don't want to push my luck. I will just live with 8GB and build a new rig after Microsoft announces the requirements for DirectStorage.

lynx1021

Distinguished
You said "Isn't DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 1.5V an industry standard? " No it is not! Not all DDR3 will work in all DDR3 Boards! There is low density DDR3 and high density DDR3. When they started making DDR3 it was low density, then they went to like a middle density (fewer chips=save money) then the last they made are high density (even fewer chips=Make more money). Different boards are designed with chip-sets to handle the current memory when they are made. My Core duo board from 2010 only takes low density, I was able to max it out to 16GB by finding some used on ebay that I knew was compatible (Ballistix Sport BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00)

TRENDING THREADS