PC won't boot after adding RAM

Sertre

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm stuck with a problem. After adding RAM, my computer won't boot anymore. My specs are:

Mobo: ASRock 980DE3/U3S3
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Black Edition
GPU: Club 3D R7 260X RoyalQueen
RAM (old): Kingston HyperX Fury blu HX318C10FK2/8 (2x4gb, 1866 mHz, 1.5 V)
RAM (added): Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FBK2/8 (2x4gb, 1866 mHz, 1.5 V)
HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB
Power: CORSAIR BUILDER CX500

If I remove the new RAM, it'll boot. If I remove the old RAM (but keep the new), it boots. I tried all different socket positions, and I tried updating the BIOS, removing the motherboard battery, restoring factory settings in the BIOS, removing all RAMs before putting them back in, one by one, unplugging the power chord after each one and pressing the powerbutton each time to decharge the motherboard memory. Both the new and the old set are working seperatly, and my motherboard supports up to 4x8gb RAM. The memorysticks are (afaik) exactly the same except for the color (old is blue, new is black).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I spent hours on this today, and I can't seem to find any more suggestions that I haven't found on google before.

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
The reason you are seeing the different screen is because when you put the new RAM in, you used slots DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 while with the old RAM you used slots DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2
So, when you go into the OC tweaker screen it defaults to showing the first slot DDR3_A1 and since you didn't have the old RAM in that slot it shows nothing. Put the old RAM back in and either use the DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 slots or change the slot you are looking at to DDR3_A2 and grab a screen of that. May as well do that for DDR3_B2 as well. Then I would do the new RAM again, and grab a shot of the DDR3_B1 screen as well. So we have 4 pics of the timings, 1 for each slot. Then we can see if there is any difference.

BadAsAl

Distinguished

Wasn't trying to be a stickler :) but if you had come back with HX31B6C10FK2/8 I would have had the possible solution! The specs seems identical to me though.

If you put in the original set and go into the BIOS, what are the memory speed and timings?
How about with the new set installed?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Wait I'm confused now.
Is the original RAM HX316C10FK2/8 or HX318C10FK2/8? Both of these exist, the first one is 1600 and the second one is 1866.
If you add HX318C10FBK2/8 and have the 1600 RAM installed it will not work unless you manually change the timings.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
No worries, I didn't think you were rude at all!
Even their own datasheet for both of these part numbers look almost identical, so I am really not sure why it wouldn't work.
My train of thought with seeing how the BIOS reads each pair is if you see some difference that could mean something wrong with the hardware. So let us know when you have had a chance to do that.

Sertre

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

I got some more information.
This (link) is the start BIOS screen with the old RAM. This is under OC Tweaker\DRAM Timing Control with the old RAM as well.

This is the start BIOS screen with the new RAM. Not really any differences there. However, if I move to OC Tweaker\DRAM Timing Control, I get a completely different result, which is this. I can't seem to be able to find this screen with the old RAMs inserted. Is it possible that this is a part of the problem?

Sertre

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

Hm, that's a shame. I wasn't aware of that when I bought the original set, otherwise I'd bought a 2x8 immediatly.

I tried what you suggested, but alas, it does not work. I tried it the other way around as well, but that didn't work either. Both had the same auto settings btw.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
The reason you are seeing the different screen is because when you put the new RAM in, you used slots DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 while with the old RAM you used slots DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2
So, when you go into the OC tweaker screen it defaults to showing the first slot DDR3_A1 and since you didn't have the old RAM in that slot it shows nothing. Put the old RAM back in and either use the DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 slots or change the slot you are looking at to DDR3_A2 and grab a screen of that. May as well do that for DDR3_B2 as well. Then I would do the new RAM again, and grab a shot of the DDR3_B1 screen as well. So we have 4 pics of the timings, 1 for each slot. Then we can see if there is any difference.

Solution

Sertre

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

You are right. Here's the new screenshot. However, I can't seem to find any differences with the old RAM (as posted above)

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I'm trying to confirm but I have read a few places now where the FX processors can only run 1866Mhz with 1 chip per channel.
Try manually setting all RAM slots to JEDEC_2 from the OC Tweaker screen.
Then shut down and put in all the RAM and see if it boots.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I've got an 8370 and have worked with other FX chips that will be fine with 4 sticks of 1866, 2133 or even 2400 like I'm running. 1866 at 1 stick per channel is primarily aimed at the lower end FX CPUs and that's not even true, have seen the lower end ones that can't even run two sticks of 1866.