[SOLVED] PC won't boot after being turned off/unplugged for a weekend.

Aug 23, 2021
My pc is in my apartment where I stay from mon-sat, but I leave to go to a different house every sunday and go back to my apartment on monday, so I bring my laptop with me instead and leave my pc unplugged. Every time I get back, my PC won't boot. The lights and fans turn on, but no display, no bios, nothing. The only solution that has worked (but I have to do it every time I come back) is to remove the cmos battery, let it sit for 5-10 mins, and then turn on the PC. Everything works fine after doing that. I should mention, this only happens when the PC is left off for more than 24 hours ish I think, cause when I turn it off on monday and turn it on the next day (for example), it boots up fine, everything works as it should, all the parts are identified.

Here are my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060
RAM: T-Force Dark Z alpha 16GB x 2 2400mhz
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B550m Elite (BIOS ver F10)
PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 80+ Gold
Case: Phanteks P300A

I tried enabling my XMP profile for my ram but I don't know if that's what's causing it so I'll disable it and see if it changes anything over the next weekend.

If you need more information, I'd be glad to give it. Any help would be very very very much appreciated!

Solution
My guess is an issue with your CMOS battery. Have you tried to replace it ?

If the PC works fine when you turn it off and on throughout the week when still plugged into the wall, just when you unplug it from the wall you have issues, to me it points to the CMOS battery. The CMOS battery is designed to keep your BIOS settings even when the PSU is not plugged in so if you having issues with it upon restart / plugging into the wall again.
it could be an issue with the power supply but then time "off" usually wouldn't be a factor.
i would assume you would see this issue every time the system was powered on.

it may be some kind of issue with the building's power.

one thing you can try is instead of shutting down just put the system in sleep mode when you leave.
when you get home see if it is still "sleeping" or if the system has shutdown.

Last edited:

tecmo34

Administrator

If the PC works fine when you turn it off and on throughout the week when still plugged into the wall, just when you unplug it from the wall you have issues, to me it points to the CMOS battery. The CMOS battery is designed to keep your BIOS settings even when the PSU is not plugged in so if you having issues with it upon restart / plugging into the wall again.

Solution
Aug 23, 2021

I haven't yet, but thank you for the suggestion! Will definitely try that.