[SOLVED] PC wont boot after changing thermal paste causes

Oct 29, 2020
Hi,

Recently I've changed the thermal paste on my CPU and since then it wont boot(fans spin, lights on but no post or bios), I found the issue to be the RAMs which is a 2 pcs 4GB ddr3 running at dual channel mode of different brands , now after reseating it everything works again and memtest and diagnostis doesnt find any problem. Now this also happens to my previous PC , both PC uses different brands of rams. The issue is the RAMS actually have no problems at all and this happens randomly around 1 time per year , reseating the ram actually works fine , the problem is its not just a normal reseat, there seems to be a specific way to insert the ram for it to work , like push hard the slot then slightly pull it back in the middle. This have been my problem for my 2 previous PC and its bugging me out as I dont actually had any problem with the PC , no BSOD only this problem of no boot occasionally , lately it happens to me 100% of the time every time I open the PC case and touch anything in the MOBO like removing the GPU , or inserting a chassis FAN on the mobo CHA header , something seems to bug the ram and decide not to boot up until I reseat it. I had read before something about the BIOS giving an initial settings to different brands of rams for them to boot properly next time , could it be that messing something in the mobo like removing the FAN HEADERS messes with this setting ? I need someone to shed some light on this

9dV8B8w.jpg

ejxHt39.jpg

QDoNBAn.jpg

t1xWjBG.png

IeBgnkv.png

EUbs90C.png

Ralston18

Titan
Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

There may be a requirement that the first installed RAM module be installed in a specific RAM slot.

Overall, dual channel requires the installation of a matched set of RAM modules purchased as a kit.

Unmatched modules can lead to any number of problems.

The photographs show different RAM modules.

Oct 29, 2020
Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

There may be a requirement that the first installed RAM module be installed in a specific RAM slot.

Overall, dual channel requires the installation of a matched set of RAM modules purchased as a kit.

Unmatched modules can lead to any number of problems.

The photographs show different RAM modules.

Yes they are both kingston but of different model #, is that the only cause for the no boot? though reseating any 1 of them makes the pc boot up fine again its not a very serious problem but its bugging me out.

there are 3 scenarios that triggered it
  1. putting a chassis fan the I plugged something in the cha_fan header
  2. disassembled the gpu to get the pads/paste changed
  3. disassembled the cpu heatsink to put in a new thermal paste

its like any changes of components in the mobo triggers a no boot scenario until the ram is reseated, isnt this some kind of security feature? as this motherboard is business oriented and have TPM on it (Asus P8Q77-M)