[SOLVED] pc wont boot after cleaning with compressed air

Xspicy

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
cleaned pc which wasnt too dirty, i clean every 3-6 months or so. the only parts i removed were my graphics card, ram sticks, and some case fans (didnt remove them from the fan header on mobo).

when i try to boot lights on all componenents are on, all fans are working, but it wont boot. my peripherals are the only components not lighting up. im sure vga and ram sticks are connected fine, not sure where else to look for why it isnt booting. read something about drying up cpu cooler with frequent cleaning, is that the case? my psu also isnt particularly high class how can i check if its my psu?

specs:
assembled 2016
i5 6600k
msi gaming m7
rx 480
crucial ballistix 16gb 2x8
650 watt PSU (cougar not sure if its bronze or none at all)
500gb samsung ssd

Solution
in order asked.
nonsense, the thermal paste will cure and over long time (years) could crack and lose effectiveness which would lead to overheating. cleaning has nothing to do with the paste drying.

easiest way-replace with another unit for testing. friend or sibling with a PC, swap out PSU and test each out on the other.

a word on proper grounding when working inside a pc.
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order asked.
nonsense, the thermal paste will cure and over long time (years) could crack and lose effectiveness which would lead to overheating. cleaning has nothing to do with the paste drying.

easiest way-replace with another unit for testing. friend or sibling with a PC, swap out PSU and test each out on the other.

a word on proper grounding when working inside a pc.
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

Solution