[SOLVED] PC Won't Boot after Cleaning

KeticHD

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
I decided today to take apart my computer to clean it and do some cable management. I started putting it back together and the mobo lights turn on and when I press the power button, the fans spin and lights start up but turn off in less than a second. Ive tried all the connections multiple times and can't figure out what is wrong. Thanks to anyone that tries to help.

Solution
n every cable with ex
Might be a power supply issue or a motherboard issue, it is most likely a power supply issue though.

You can either replace your power supply entirely or if you have an extra power supply hanging around you can test if the PC will run smoothly, which is an indication of a power supply failure.

If the power supply isn't the issue then it's the motherboard. What method did you use to clean your system?

cgmbgaming03

Prominent
May 16, 2018
Ok, have you made sure that all of your cables are plugged in AND they aren't loose?
Also do you have multiple RAM sticks?
Is there any pieces of metal that may be causing a shortage in your PC?

KeticHD

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
Ok, have you made sure that all of your cables are plugged in AND they aren't loose?
Also do you have multiple RAM sticks?
Is there any pieces of metal that may be causing a shortage in your PC?
I pushed in every cable with extra pressure just to make sure they were all good.
I have 2 sticks of DDR4 Vengeance RGB (sorry forgot to list that) and I have tested each stick by themselves.
I checked for any metal that could cause a shortage and saw nothing. I even jump started the mobo and it didnt work

cgmbgaming03

Prominent
May 16, 2018
n every cable with ex
Might be a power supply issue or a motherboard issue, it is most likely a power supply issue though.

You can either replace your power supply entirely or if you have an extra power supply hanging around you can test if the PC will run smoothly, which is an indication of a power supply failure.

If the power supply isn't the issue then it's the motherboard. What method did you use to clean your system?

Solution

KeticHD

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019

Okay i can try one I have.
I used a shop vac to blow dust out without making any contact with any of the parts. I did unplug everything though. Also it doesn't seem like it would be the psu because it was all working properly before the cleaning.... it seems pretty weird that it all stopped booting after the cleaning.

cgmbgaming03

Prominent
May 16, 2018
Okay i can try one I have.
I used a shop vac to blow dust out without making any contact with any of the parts. I did unplug everything though.
Ok if your PC doesn't turn on with the extra power supply, try and taking out the graphics card and only have a mouse and keyboard plugged in. Then test it.

And was the vac sucking in air or blowing it out?

cgmbgaming03

Prominent
May 16, 2018
Well i did what you said and it booted.. Do you know what would cause that? I can't thank you enough for helping me with this. I worked on it for 5 hours and couldn't get it and that was such a simple solution... thank you!!! I'll order a new psu
When you were cleaning out your PSU with the vac, you might have damaged some of the components of the PSU, leading it to fail. In the future, make sure you clean your PC with air-blasters designed to clean the inside of a PC. I'm glad that I was able to help :)

TRENDING THREADS