Pc won't boot after installing a drive along with raid disks

beecharilaos

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Hello and thanx for all the times I found solutions through your forum.This time though I'm unable to find something similar.

I worked at a pc with raid disks,although in the process I found out that maybe the raid mode was not enabled(if that's possible).I'm sure there was only one drive visible though in the uefi.These drives had dual boot ubuntu/windows 7.Windows 7 was laggy so I tried to install a third hard disk,just to install windows and try not to interfere with the raid's boot.

So i just changed the boot to the 3rd disk after installing windows on it.Pc lost the dual boot with ubuntu and showed me the two windows 7 partitions.I got scared and uninstalled the 3rd disk,never put it back since then,I tried then to log in to windows,I logged in and searched for ways to recover the grub for ubuntu.But then pc stucked and ever since i got a blue screen when it tries to load.Message are BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO. (0X00000074) (0X00000002) (0X8CFF8AA8) (0X00000002) (0XC000014C).
Right now I'm waiting for windows startup repair to finish.Any help would be greatly appreciated since I'm at work and I'm screwed :p

Read here on that error.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-0x00000074-startup-blue-screen/e9e412ae-013c-4fb7-93a4-e369dd1718dc

So this is what happened as far as the boot goes.

Sounds like you had a RAID of two drives first. Then installed a 3rd. You then installed Windows 7 to the 3rd drive? If that is correct that is where you went wrong.

when ever you install windows, especially when using a grub loader on another drive and you want to install the drives side by side for dual boot you either 1) Have to install linux LAST or 2) Remote ALL drives BUT the target drive.

You should have removed the existing drives, then installed windows, and then readded the existing drives. What you did over rote the Grub. You will have to get your Linux install disk and reinstall Grub now.

This is why you saw only two windows 7 because the windows 7 saw the other windows 7 and added it in. Removing the 3rd disk won't bring back grub. If you want the 3rd disk standalone you will have to remove other drives, install windows, and then add the others. Then use the BIOS Boot Key (something like F11 or F12 etc) and select that drive. If you want it in the Grub Menu then you to install windows (at this point since it is gone it doesn't matter or just re add the drive) then boot off your linux disk and repair Grub.

If you ever need to add windows later on same thing. Remove all drives, install windows, add, boot into your linux, and then add the new windows 7 to your Grub menu. Then just make sure the drive that has Linux on it is the primary boot drive.

TRENDING THREADS