[SOLVED] PC won't boot after installing a new M.2 SSD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2023
I've recently bought and installed a new m.2 SSD for storage. After installing it the whole PC won't boot to BIOS. I have Win10 on a separate SATA SSD and 2 SATA HDDs for storage. Now the BIOS screen won't even show. I uninstalled the M.2 SSD and it still won't boot. I've tried plugging the HDMI cable to the motherboard directly but still nothing. Resetting the CMOS battery with a screwdriver yields zero results. I could really use some help.

Motherboard is an ASRock A320M-HDV.
CPU is a Ryzen 5600G
GPU is a Colorful GTX 1660
2 sticks of DDR4 RAM

Mind you, I did this with all the internal components and cables still connected to the motherboard. Was that a mistake?

What model M.2 drive?
Is it listed in Storage QVL list for specified motherboard?

Is it installed properly?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed and M.2 drive visible?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Note - video output on motherboard usually gets disabled automatically with discrete graphics card installed.
Remove discrete graphics card and try then.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Aug 31, 2023
What model M.2 drive?
Is it listed in Storage QVL list for specified motherboard?

Is it installed properly?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed and M.2 drive visible?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Note - video output on motherboard usually gets disabled automatically with discrete graphics card installed.
Remove discrete graphics card and try then.
The SSD is an M.2 NVME, it is not on the list. It's a Kyo Kaizen 1tb budget SSD.

I believe it was installed correctly, yes.

Removing the GPU did not work.

Pic of the whole thing as requested:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/vhmEYy0

Aug 31, 2023
There might be some compatibility issues with your motherboard and this specific M.2 ssd model.

BTW - fan on cpu cooler seems to be installed in wrong orientation.
Flip cpu cooler fan to other side of the cooler.
Ah, the airflow did seem a bit weird when I installed the thing.

Still, it doesn't explain why it refuses to boot even after the SSD was removed.

Aug 31, 2023
FINAL UPDATE!

I don't know how, I don't know why, but after taking everything apart and putting it back together again, everything works perfectly. I have no clue how I fixed any of this and I'm too afraid to ask.

Anyways, thanks for the help from everyone who chimed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.