[SOLVED] PC wont BOOT after installing case fans!

Shade_0708

Honorable
Dec 5, 2015
SPECS:
MOBO: MSI B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
GPU:GTX 1660ti
CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X
RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT NEO 32GB 3600MHZ
PSU: SEASONIC FOCUS GX650W
CASE: NZXT H510 (the front panel connectors are already in a "ready to plug" cable)

So yesterday i received my deepcool rf120 3 pack. I turned off my Pc (unplugged all necessary cables) and I installed the fans, all 3 fans are daisy-chained and the hub is connected to sys_fan1 right? And the rgb connector to jrgb1.

But after i installed it, the PC wont boot. No lights or anything but only the tiny white light from my gpu near where the power connector is at.

And i can hear a tiny static noise around the board maybe from the gpu power connector? im not really sure. i cant distinguish where it is. Is it normal?

List of fixes i did

I reseated all components and cables except the processor.

I jumpstarted the mobo using a screwdriver.

I tried to turn on the pc without the case, no luck.

Tried installing my old gtx 960 thinking it may be a gpu prob. And nope.

Paperclip test on seasonic failed. the fan twitches

Also a paperclip test on my old thermaltake smart se 730 and it turned on. the fan is spinning alright. Installed on my current system did not turned on.

Heres one thing i think is the main problem, Paperclip test on the seasonic failed but on my old thermaltake smart se 730w the fans are spinning with the paperclip test. But when i use the old psu to my system it still doesnt turn on.

The only culprit i can think of are:
1) along the way i removed the gpu and stupidly forgot to unlock the gpulock and the gpu is halfway seated and i also removed my cpu cooler to reach the gpu lock and after some wiggling it came right off.

The only reason i did this beacuse i intend to remove the front intake bracket coz i read somwhere that it need to open the bracket all the way to the side and its really idiotic of me not just knock the hinges with the screwdriver handle

2) The 12v rgb header connected to rgb of the fans? (And i also tried using the fan's rgb controller that is connected to psu, but no luck) maybe it shorted? Pls no

3) or worst case scenario, my mobo dead....? nooo :((((

If so i can rma it but my windows 10 license? I think i can transfer as i have a digital license linked to my microsoft acct. amirite?

I only upgraded last week except the gpu (bought it in 2019) and transplanted them all by myself tho, and it works well until now. And this case fan installation will be the hardest of them all :((

Thanks!!!

Solution
Sounds like something is shorted on the motherboard; probably that GPU slot. Disconnect everything but the PSU, CPU, CPU cooler, Ram, & GPU (use the 960) and see if it still behaves this way.

When you did the paperclip test on the Seasonic, was it still connected to the motherboard? Try it when it's not connected to anything. It might still be good.

popatim

Titan
Sounds like something is shorted on the motherboard; probably that GPU slot. Disconnect everything but the PSU, CPU, CPU cooler, Ram, & GPU (use the 960) and see if it still behaves this way.

When you did the paperclip test on the Seasonic, was it still connected to the motherboard? Try it when it's not connected to anything. It might still be good.

Reactions: Shade_0708
Solution

Shade_0708

Honorable
Dec 5, 2015

I did the paperclip test without connecting to anything.

When i did the test, the fan twitches and after i switch the psu OFF after a while the fan spins for a moment? Like theres a sudden surge i think.

TRENDING THREADS