[SOLVED] PC won't boot after installing new PC Case. CPU Fan moves an inch, then fails to boot.

Feb 10, 2019
Hi all,

I recently moved interstate and moved my working computer, and all my computer parts with me except for PC Case as it could not fit in the luggage. I installed a new PC case as I got here (few weeks later) and now it is not booting.

My detailed experience:
As I turn on the PSU and power, initially there are lights running through the motherboard. As I press the start button, the PSU makes a little tap/click sound (it's normal I believe) and the CPU moves an inch then it fails to boot. The LED fan on PC case lights up as well. After failing to boot, i'll press the power button again and nothing happens, (no light + CPU fan doesn't move at all).

What have I tried?
I have worked on this computer for hours! The following things i've done:

• - Checked and re-checked everything is plugged in correctly; including the CPU power connect (24 pin and 4 pin 12vATX) and connections to GPU (8 pins i believe)
    - Tried different wiring configurations on front panel pins, including reversing them. Can someone verify whether my Power SW set up is correct? see: https://imgur.com/a/7zVz1Mj
    - Case standoffs are already preinstalled and motherboard is sitting on them
    - Plugged and re plugged in (clicked it in) my one 4GB RAM on four different slots; I cleaned it as well!
    - Plugged and re plugged in two different GPUs; I cleaned it as well.
    - CPU installed correctly, as it was already working, and I did not have to touch it when installing new case
    - Discharged all static electricity by touching the anti static bag before touching electronics
    - Discharged PC by removing round battery and unplugging from PSU, then starting power button for 30 seconds
    - Attempted to start computer without GPU or HDD attached
    - Attempted to start computer with only CPU, PSU and RAM attached
    - Attempted to start computer with only CPU, GPU, PSU and RAM attached
[/list]
My PC build:

• -Core i5 e97379-003
    -AORUS 1080Ti GTX
    -Crucial 4GB RAM
    -Corsair TX650 PSU
    -ASUS B250M-A Prime Motherboard

If anyone can help me trouble shoot that would be super...
I've spent hours and hours trying to put this together and my back and legs have been aching. Almost about to give up :(

So you took it apart, put it in luggage, traveled via airplane, then put it back together in a new case?

How far down did you strip components (like leave the cpu in the socket but took off cooler)? How did you pack them (each in a static bag or something else)?

Feb 10, 2019

Correct, I took it apart, left the CPU (with cooler) on motherboard, placed it in its' original box. GPUs are in static bags, within their original box. PSU as well - within its' original box.

It was weeks before I bought a PC case and monitor to put it all together again.

Feb 10, 2019
I read a little bit about CMOS; do you think resetting CMOS or replacing the battery would help? I heard that inactivity of the motherboard can make the CMOS battery (round battery on motherboard) dormant.

Feb 10, 2019

Thanks all, took everything apart. Isolated the parts as well. I believe there may be three things. CPU wasn't sitting tight. GPU also may not have been sitting tight due to new case. And lastly, PC case's 2.5" slot for HDD was causing non start up as well.

It will quite a rewarding experience diagnosing it. Thanks all, highly appreciated. Have a great week!!!!!!!!!