Question PC Won't Boot After Motherboard Change

Jun 30, 2022
My motherboard died and I got a used one from eBay. Transferred everything from my old PC to the new motherboard and it won't get past the motherboard logo and the circling dots. Tried the following but nothing is working:
  1. Removed HDD, and second SSD
  2. Moved boot SSD to other M.2 slots
  3. Removed RAM sticks and tried combinations of 1,2,4 (all 8gb)
  4. Tried startup repair
  5. Tried system recovery, said it was successful but when the machine boots it goes to the same logo screen with spinning dots
  6. Did DISM, SFC, BOOTREC, etc. and it fixed errors but nothing changed
  7. Disabled CSM in BIOS, set boot to UEFI, disabled fast boot
  8. Tried uninstalling updates and resetting from windows recovery environment
  9. Tried safe mode but it wouldn't get past the logo screen (no dots) on any of the options (low res, safe mode, w/networking, w/cmd etc.)
  10. Removed SSD and booted with basically nothing connected except CPU and RAM, then booted again with SSD installed
  11. Cleared CMOS and BIOS
  12. Finally decided to erase the SSD since it didn't have the important files (all my data was on second SSD and HDD). Used disk part to clean it and tried to install windows from USB. Used the windows media creation tool to make the drive and installed windows on the SSD but now after booting it goes to the logo and the dots freeze. BOOTREC command shows that it can't find any windows installation...tried it several times (clean, install, check) and nothing works

I'm at a loss. I don't know what is wrong and what else to try. Any help is appreciated

i7-8700k
ASUS Z390 Prime-P (previously had MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC)
Ballistix Sport 32Gb (4x8gb)
Corsair RM750X
Asus RTX 2080 Turbo
Intel 660p SSD (boot)

My motherboard died and I got a used one from eBay. Transferred everything from my old PC to the new motherboard and it won't get past the motherboard logo and the circling dots. Tried the following but nothing is working:
  4. Tried startup repair
  5. Tried system recovery, said it was successful but when the machine boots it goes to the same logo screen with spinning dots
  9. Tried safe mode but it wouldn't get past the logo screen (no dots) on any of the options (low res, safe mode, w/networking, w/cmd etc.)
  10. Removed SSD and booted with basically nothing connected except CPU and RAM, then booted again with SSD installed
  12. Finally decided to erase the SSD since it didn't have the important files (all my data was on second SSD and HDD). Used disk part to clean it and tried to install windows from USB. Used the windows media creation tool to make the drive and installed windows on the SSD but now after booting it goes to the logo and the dots freeze. BOOTREC command shows that it can't find any windows installation...tried it several times (clean, install, check) and nothing works
I'm at a loss. I don't know what is wrong and what else to try. Any help is appreciated

i7-8700k
Corsair RM750X
Asus RTX 2080 Turbo
Intel 660p SSD (boot)
The first thing I usually do is try to figure out if its a hardware problem or a windows problem. I boot from a usb stick containing a linux distro and use it to check if all my hardware functions normally. If I think there may be a disk problem the linux Gparted app allows me to check my disk and see that the GPT identifier is intact and the all the drive space is unallocated. Then I can try to reinstall windows. Or you could just return the motherboard to the ebay seller.

4. Tried startup repair

i7-8700k
Corsair RM750X
Asus RTX 2080 Turbo
Intel 660p SSD (boot)
Just to make the pot smaller.

One stick of ram in the proper slot.
Remove the gpu and connect to the igp.