Question PC won't boot after plugging in SATA cable ?

Jan 19, 2020
So I built my first pc around 2 weeks ago, and I love it, it works perfectly fine. The only problem i has was that I hadn't installed a Hard Drive yet, so I ordered one and got it in the mail today. I installed it, plugged everything in, but my pc wouldn't boot. After unplugging the sata cable from my motherboard my pc will boot perfectly fine, but as soon as I plug the sata cable back in it doesn't boot anymore. I tried both sata cables that came with my motherboard and both show the same results. Anyone know whats causing this or how to fix it?

Reactions: ParagonHawk
" it works perfectly fine. The only problem i has was that I hadn't installed a Hard Drive yet "

I assume you had at least one drive in there....as "it works perfectly fine".

After you powered down and added the drive....did you go to the BIOS and make sure the original drive was on top of the boot order

Jan 19, 2020
" it works perfectly fine. The only problem i has was that I hadn't installed a Hard Drive yet "

I assume you had at least one drive in there....as "it works perfectly fine".

After you powered down and added the drive....did you go to the BIOS and make sure the original drive was on top of the boot order

The only thing I had installed was a 500GB SSD, and after adding the drive I can't access the bios anymore as the pc doesn't boot anything, when I unplug the drive I can access everything like normal...but when I plug it back in it just doesn't boot, doesn't do anything except for turn on

Jan 19, 2020
What motherboard and drive do you have?

Also are you plugging in both the SATA data cable and the SATA Power (from the power supply) to the drive?

My motherboard is an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. And my drive is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3,5 Inch Hard drive. And yes both cables are plugged into the drive, and into my power supply and motherboard.

Jan 19, 2020
Was the SSD a m.2? Many M.2 drives disable certain sata ports, for your motherboard SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a M.2 device in M.2 slot.

I checked and it indeed is an M.2, do I fix this by removing the SSD? Or are there other ways to gain access back to the SATA ports with an M.2 installed?

Jan 19, 2020
Plug your other SATA drive with WIndows on it into some other SATA port other than 5 or 6....

I've already tried using every single SATA port on my motherboard, when I use port 5 or 6 my pc boots but it just doesn't detect a hard drive. When I use SATA ports 1-4 my pc just doesn't boot at all, it turns on but its just a black screen and I can't even enter the bios anymore.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021
I have this exact problem as well, I've had it since I bought the motherboard last year, the support team from MSI told me to send it to the reseller to claim warranty but that would render me a full month or even more without a computer which I need to use daily.
Seems a bit weird for them to sell a bunch of B450 Tomahawk Max boards with the 1-4 Sata ports dead on arrival... I guess I'm gonna have to buy another board and sell this one after I have it repaired with their warranty <Mod Edit>... Never buying MSI motherboards again tbh... the software crap is annoying and oftenly not working, the RGB software is so clunky and unusable most of the times... at least the OC is going well but at this pricetag I would assume nothing less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 27, 2021
I have a MSI X570 MEG ACE and exhibiting similar issues. When I plug my sata ssd or hdd, the system will boot without displaying anything. Once I unplug the ssd the system boots fine.

Dec 22, 2021
i have the same exact problem . my motherboard is B550 mATX.After removing SATA cable windows boots otherwise it still on the Legion logo.
this behaviour shown after firmware update and i rollbacked driver update but no use.I am using with 512 gb ssd only.
PC:Lenovo Legion Tower 5