PC won't boot after RAM upgrade. Now old RAM won't work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedydaniel

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
So earlier today I picked up 8GB of Corsair Vengence RAM (2x4GB) and installed it in my computer to replace the 2 2GB sticks I had. After I installed them, I went to turn on my PC and nothing happened. The computer seems to be stuck in an endless reboot. No display, but also no beeps. I turned it off and took the RAM out and put the old back in. Same thing, although this time there were three beeps. One long beep and two short. Both sticks were seated properly, and everything was unplugged during installation. I've tried resetting the CMOS with no luck either. My motherboard is an ASUS M4A88T-M LE.

UPDATE: I was up til 2am last night trying to get this fixed with no luck. I even reseated all parts to my computer to ensure that all connections were tight. No matter what RAM I put in, new or old, 1 stick or two, first slot or second, I still get one long beep and two short. This means that my motherboard will not detect the RAM.
Is it possible that I broke something in my motherboard since it won't detect either of them? I don't want to return the RAM and get a new motherboard only for the old RAM to not work in there either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
reset the CMOS so the the BIOS resets and defaults to the lowest/original setting. you usually have to take the battery on the motherboard out to do this, then wait a sec, put it back in. Refer to the proper and safe method for doing this (unplug, off carpet, press the power button to discharge anything left in the system, etc)

update: just read above, crap. try one stick at a time? in each slot?
reset the CMOS so the the BIOS resets and defaults to the lowest/original setting. you usually have to take the battery on the motherboard out to do this, then wait a sec, put it back in. Refer to the proper and safe method for doing this (unplug, off carpet, press the power button to discharge anything left in the system, etc)

update: just read above, crap. try one stick at a time? in each slot?

Solution

beedydaniel

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I have tried putting one stick in at a time with no luck. Still beeping. I've tried this multiple times with both sets of RAM. I'm seriously running out of options!

Status
Not open for further replies.