PC won't boot after restart.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dunlapc308

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
Hey everyone. I've had issues with my PC booting up for a while now but usually after a few restarts it would work right. A few days ago it stopped booting. It would get through the system startup but would stop at a black screen when it should be loading the OS. I reinstalled the OS and it worked on initial startup. But once the PC was restarted the problem came back. I tried changing out the hard drive but the same thing happened. I then used a friends computer to download an ISO of windows 8 developer trial. It installed fine but upon restart did the same thing. Although windows 8 said something about not being able to find some windows start file. I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem further or fix it. I'd rather not spend money buying things if they are not necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MattG from SC

Prominent
May 12, 2017
I know this was asked over 4 years ago, but I've had the same problem for a few years and could never find a good fix, or find the answer on line.

But I figured it out yesterday. For some reason, the BIOS was interpreting the restart as a power failure. My BIOS was set to not restart after power failure. I changed the BIOS setting to allow restart after power failure and now Windows will actually restart when I tell Windows to "restart."