Question PC won't boot after slight overclocking.

Dec 31, 2019
Hello,
so my computer won't boot if i overclock my CPU past 3.8GHz (base 3.6GHz). I still have access to BIOS to reduce the multiplier.
With RAM the PC is working fine on 3200MHz (base 2933MHz) but if I combine it with the 3.8GHz CPU overclock it starts to be unstable (sometimes won't boot).
With BCLK its pretty much the same, I kept the CPU and RAM multipliers on base value and I tuned BCLK to 110MHz. It didn't boot at all.
I left CPU voltage on auto (about 1.4V) and increased RAM voltage from 1.2V to 1.3V.

Then my graphics card. I saw people on internet overclock memory to 2250MHz easily but I cant do it past 2150MHz (base 2000MHz) without the screen going black.
I had the voltage increased by 0.1V and power consumption limit by +50%.

And my question is what's the problem?

SPECS:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
RAM : HyperX Fury Black 2x8GB DDR4
Graphics card : XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy
PSU : iTek Redbox FM 700W
Mainboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H

Last edited:
What motherboard do you have, it's possible the board doesn't have good VRM's to handle stable CPU overclock.

Try setting the RAM to 1.35V and dropping the CPU core voltage to 1.325V. Also don't change the BCLK, this could cause isntability on not just boot but PCIe lanes, memory to CPU, etc. Leave it as is (100MHz).

The graphics card should be fine.

And most importantly keep an eye on the temps. The computer will definitely crash if the CPU gets up to 70C with this OC profile. AMD chips have a tendency to get hot quick and OC'd chips become too unstable when reaching higher temps.

Dec 31, 2019
What motherboard do you have, it's possible the board doesn't have good VRM's to handle stable CPU overclock.

Try setting the RAM to 1.35V and dropping the CPU core voltage to 1.325V. Also don't change the BCLK, this could cause isntability on not just boot but PCIe lanes, memory to CPU, etc. Leave it as is (100MHz).

The graphics card should be fine.

And most importantly keep an eye on the temps. The computer will definitely crash if the CPU gets up to 70C with this OC profile. AMD chips have a tendency to get hot quick and OC'd chips become too unstable when reaching higher temps.

The mainboard is Gigabyte B450M DS3H, but I'm worried about the graphics card too.

The mainboard is Gigabyte B450M DS3H, but I'm worried about the graphics card too.

Motherboard is fine to overclock with, problems could be temps then - which goes for both your CPU and GPU. If your temps get too high they will have trouble OC'ing. And as stated before, set your BCLK back to 100MHz. Nowadays changing this to anything will make your system unstable.

Try that out, and as alceryes stated, fiddle with one component at a time until you find a stable setting for everything.

For the GPU, you can't compare to results online as every card is different.
An OC of 150Mhz means 600Mhz because you x4, your GPU memory is running at 8600Mhz which is average. It also depends on which memory your GPU is using, Samsung overclocks more. You can see that in GPUZ.

Also I never heard of your PSU, its not a good brand unless it was built by Seasonic, EVGA or Corsair. Does it have a single +12v line?

Low end motherboards tend to not overclock well. I couldn't find info on your motherboard's VRMs. I have an ASRock AB350 Pro4 with 1800X and I can't overclock the CPU at all because the VRMs can't push enought voltage into the CPU. Overclocking makes it unstable.

Last edited: