Pc wont boot after soft reboot

john the swift

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi there, Got a weird issue that I cant resolve after several months.
So one day I pressed the reboot button in windows and waited for my PC to boot up, it never did. windows shutdown fine and PC turned back on, but video never comes back.

However if i turn the PC off or use shutdown and do a full normal power on / boot, its fine. 0 issues.

So my question is, any ideas why this is happening?

PC Specs
CPU: AMD FX-8120
Mobo: AsRock 990fx Extreme 4 - Factory air cool heatsink
GPU: 980TI Nvidia - Water cooled
Ram: 16gb DDR3 1600mhz
SSD: OCZ Agility3 - 260gb
HDD: 2 X 3TB western digital, 1 X 2tb seagate, 1 X 4tb western digital
PSU: 1Kw thermal take

Software
Win 10 Pro

G

I fixed that exact same problem by updating my motherboard's BIOS (BIOS version I updated to didn't mention that problem at all, but it fixed it nevertheless).

The problem became apparent as soon as I collected my custom-build from PC builder (first time I needed to restart Windows).
I put up with it for a month but after that I'd had enough so I headed over to ASRock's website for a BIOS update - - success!

I can't guarantee a BIOS update will fix it for you, but it is rather telling that your motherboard is also an ASRock one like mine was.

john the swift

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

I am leaning towards bios issue myself, sadly the motherboard i have is quite old and the latest bios is version 2.70 which is installed. ( that i can find via official means - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme4/#BIOS ) and i have re-flashed it and then reset my bios and replaced the CMOS battery to ensure any settings are reset to norms.

This is a new issue that has carried across 2 power supplies, I have tried reinstalling windows, replacing the CPU, replacing the PSU, etc.

I am basically at my wits end trying to work it out. Its very bizzare.