[SOLVED] PC won't boot after thunderstorm but PSU works

Yrors_

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Hi,
So last night there was a thunderstorm in my area, which I didn't think much of since I have a surge protector for my pc. However now this morning my pc fails to boot up at all - the mobo light is on, however pressing the power button or pwr_switch on the mobo has no response from the computer. I believe that it is a CPU or mobo issue, as I have tested both the PSU (using this guide
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
) and the ram in another computer. I have also removed the graphics card but this has had no effect. As both the surge protector and PSU are functioning, I believe the board must have shorted through the ethernet port or something. Since the other computer is using a different chipset, I am wondering if there is any way to check if it is a cpu or mobo issue without using another computer?

Any help would be appeciated!

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Maybe it's a good opportunity to upgrade.

But if you don't have much of a budget, then try to see if you can get a replacement motherboard off eBay.

Oct 23, 2020
It may be the PSU, even though you said it works, there could be something else wrong with it. If you test it and it works fine, then it may be the motherboard.

Yrors_

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Specs:
CPU - i5 6600k (was OCed to 4.5ghz, seemed stable could have broken it idk)
Cooler - Cooler Master hyper 212x
GPU - gigabyte g1 gaming 1070
PSU - EVGA supernova G+ 650w gold
MOBO - Asus z170-ar
RAM - 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Fury 2133mhz

Don't have a UPS. However my computer was off during the thunderstorm.

Tried straight into the wall (another outlet) and didn't work.

I tested the PSU mobo connector and a case fan, I agree that it could still be non-functional on some outputs, however I do not know how to test it further.

I'm guessing my only solution is to probably buy a new mobo and cpu.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Maybe it's a good opportunity to upgrade.

But if you don't have much of a budget, then try to see if you can get a replacement motherboard off eBay.

davephx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
A few years ago, I had a close lightning strike. Have UPS, which I don't think even tripped. However, my cable connection fried the PC motherboard! It went through the undamaged router but blew out MB. It also fried a Tivo with a cable connection but no power supply issue, not even UPS tripped. The cable (cox) was well grounded when lighting stuck near the electric service panel.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS