[SOLVED] PC won't boot after thunderstorm but PSU works

Yrors_

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2015
Hi,
So last night there was a thunderstorm in my area, which I didn't think much of since I have a surge protector for my pc. However now this morning my pc fails to boot up at all - the mobo light is on, however pressing the power button or pwr_switch on the mobo has no response from the computer. I believe that it is a CPU or mobo issue, as I have tested both the PSU (using this guide
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
) and the ram in another computer. I have also removed the graphics card but this has had no effect. As both the surge protector and PSU are functioning, I believe the board must have shorted through the ethernet port or something. Since the other computer is using a different chipset, I am wondering if there is any way to check if it is a cpu or mobo issue without using another computer?

Any help would be appeciated!

Solution
Maybe it's a good opportunity to upgrade.

But if you don't have much of a budget, then try to see if you can get a replacement motherboard off eBay.

Yrors_

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2015
Specs:
CPU - i5 6600k (was OCed to 4.5ghz, seemed stable could have broken it idk)
Cooler - Cooler Master hyper 212x
GPU - gigabyte g1 gaming 1070
PSU - EVGA supernova G+ 650w gold
MOBO - Asus z170-ar
RAM - 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Fury 2133mhz

Don't have a UPS. However my computer was off during the thunderstorm.

Tried straight into the wall (another outlet) and didn't work.

I tested the PSU mobo connector and a case fan, I agree that it could still be non-functional on some outputs, however I do not know how to test it further.

I'm guessing my only solution is to probably buy a new mobo and cpu.

davephx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
A few years ago, I had a close lightning strike. Have UPS, which I don't think even tripped. However, my cable connection fried the PC motherboard! It went through the undamaged router but blew out MB. It also fried a Tivo with a cable connection but no power supply issue, not even UPS tripped. The cable (cox) was well grounded when lighting stuck near the electric service panel.