Question PC won't boot after updating drivers

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Hello. So the other day I decided to perform some updates to my Asus laptop and I had it done using a program called Driver Booster, but when almost finishing, the pc has run into a blue screen.
Now, whenever I try to turn it on, the laptop will run into the same blue screen of death and won't boot up, even when trying to boot into safe mode it'll just go into a blue screen.
I tried "system restore" but it just won't, as the "next" button is not pressable if that makes any sense...

I've had this problem for some days now, but I'm going back to college soon and fixing this without having to delete all my files would mean alot <3

PS: I'm not sure wich update has caused this.

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
That's pretty disappointing to hear..
I'm starting to think about getting another drive just to boot from and save my data..
But I'm kinda very short on money rn, as a student there is rent and alot of expenses especially at this time, so if there is any other methode with lower costs, please I'm all listening.

And when I try to use any of them, this is what happens:
https://ibb.co/4pXggGG
You have to place mark in checkbox "Disque Local C: (Systeme) ".

20220919-160634.jpg

Last edited:

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
member: 1990548"]
You have to place mark in checkbox "Disque Local C: (Systeme) ".

20220919-160634.jpg

[/QUOTE]
I tried that infinite times, but it won't tick anything.. the checkbox state is just as "next" button, both are turned off for some reason...

And I will definitely backup my data more often after this.

I tried that infinite times, but it won't tick anything.. the checkbox state is just as "next" button, both are turned off for some reason...
Oh right. Had to use google translate.
The message there is "You need to enable system protection on this drive".

You do not have System Restore enabled on drive C: .
That's why, you can't use system restore.

So you can't boot into safe mode, can't use system restore, you don't have system backup.
I'm afraid - that's it. You'll have to reinstall windows.

You can
shrink existing windows OS partition,​
create another partition and​
install windows in newly created partition.​
All your data will remain in old windows OS partition.

Last edited:

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Oh right. Had to use google translate.
The message there is "You need to enable system protection on this drive".

You do not have System Restore enabled on drive C: .
That's why, you can't use system restore.

So you can't boot into safe mode, can't use system restore, you don't have system backup.
I'm afraid - that's it. You'll have to reinstall windows.

You can
shrink existing windows OS partition,​
create another partition and​
install windows in newly created partition.​
All your data will remain in old windows OS partition.
Thank you so much for pointing out the system protection thing, so I re-enabled it using command prompt and attempting to restore the system as I'm typing this.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can try and check the next options,
https://www.google.com/search?clien...lation+media&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
need to make a bootable usb with windows install on it,
Windows 10 usb install tool
assuming you have windows 10. Would use a usb stick of 8gb minimum.

If using a restore point use the "HHGG" since older than the driver booster, hope via this it will ignore the "have to enable system protection" message. If not is there in the options of the repair one that is called "CMD" which you can open, could maybe use that to enable "System Protection" first,

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...drive-in/3e8d2d76-5104-4743-8ba4-1ecbbe3b94f7

the answer from "Babu". Hope it doesn't wipe restore points, but seems only doing that when disabling it, which is kinda weird since you have restore options and it is disabled anyway.

Wonder if Driver Booster tried to force some windows update, don't know if it is capable of it since steering clear of tools like that, if so is there also an option to undo latest updates within the repair options.

Maybe could use some Linux install to see if it is possible to save data to an external drive like that or maybe a tool on "hiren's Boot CD" (can be used on a usb stick),
Hiren's BootCD PE
look under "Hard Disk Tools – Data Recovery ".

Well maybe something to dig into. All that you might lose is more time. Reinstalling windows would be the much easier option.

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Can try and check the next options,
https://www.google.com/search?clien...lation+media&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
need to make a bootable usb with windows install on it,
Windows 10 usb install tool
assuming you have windows 10. Would use a usb stick of 8gb minimum.

If using a restore point use the "HHGG" since older than the driver booster, hope via this it will ignore the "have to enable system protection" message. If not is there in the options of the repair one that is called "CMD" which you can open, could maybe use that to enable "System Protection" first,

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-enable-system-protection-on-c-drive-in/3e8d2d76-5104-4743-8ba4-1ecbbe3b94f7

the answer from "Babu". Hope it doesn't wipe restore points, but seems only doing that when disabling it, which is kinda weird since you have restore options and it is disabled anyway.

Wonder if Driver Booster tried to force some windows update, don't know if it is capable of it since steering clear of tools like that, if so is there also an option to undo latest updates within the repair options.

Maybe could use some Linux install to see if it is possible to save data to an external drive like that or maybe a tool on "hiren's Boot CD" (can be used on a usb stick),
Hiren's BootCD PE
look under "Hard Disk Tools – Data Recovery ".

Well maybe something to dig into. All that you might lose is more time. Reinstalling windows would be the much easier option.
Well, that Microsoft link is almost 10 years old, and I'm running windows 10, so the tips provided in it would not match my system.
Using Linux would take way too much time with no guarantees, especially that I'm not that used to it.
But since you mentioned "repair windows using an installation media", it'll be the first thing that I'm gonna try. If that didnt work, I hope 22Gb will be enough to install and boot windows at least once.
Update: windows won't let me undo any updates, and it should be on the latest version.

I appreciate your effort mate, thank you.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that Microsoft link is almost 10 years old, and I'm running windows 10, so the tips provided in it would not match my system.

But since you mentioned "repair windows using an installation media", it'll be the first thing that I'm gonna try.
Withtin the options for repair using the installer stick is also the option for the Command Prompt, did you at least try the commands to enable System protection?

You don't have m uch to lose.

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Sorry for the late reply guys, but I formated the SSD on another pc, and when I put it back my laptop did not boot from it, and it directly takes me into the bios of the machine with no error or anything.
I can see all the parts are detected and running from the bios though, including the SSD

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Well - obviously - if you formatted SSD, there's nothing on it anymore and you can't boot from it.
Reinstall windows.
I forgot to mention that I already installed windows 10 on the SSD and it was perfectly running on the desktop, but once I put it back in the laptop, it didnt want to boot up, despite detecting it from the bios.

USAFRet

Titan
I forgot to mention that I already installed windows 10 on the SSD and it was perfectly running on the desktop, but once I put it back in the laptop, it didnt want to boot up, despite detecting it from the bios.
"I forgot to mention..."
Thats a pretty major thing to 'forget'.

Installing the OS when it is in the desktop, then moving it to the laptop.....
Major fail.

Not unexpected that it would fail to boot up.
Windows is NOT as modular as we'd all like.

I already installed windows 10 on the SSD and it was perfectly running on the desktop, but once I put it back in the laptop, it didnt want to boot up, despite detecting it from the bios.
Probably you had more than a single drive connected, while installing windows on SSD (in desktop pc).
Bootloader on SSD didn't get configured properly because of this.

But there are going to be other problems also, if you installed windows on one pc and move OS drive to a different pc.
You're not supposed to do that.

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Probably you had more than a single drive connected, while installing windows on SSD (in desktop pc).
Bootloader on SSD didn't get configured properly because of this.

But there are going to be other problems also, if you installed windows on one pc and move OS drive to a different pc.
You're not supposed to do that.
Ok thanks for pointing out the issue, will try to fix it and get back with the results.

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
"I forgot to mention..."
Thats a pretty major thing to 'forget'.

Installing the OS when it is in the desktop, then moving it to the laptop.....
Major fail.

Not unexpected that it would fail to boot up.
Windows is NOT as modular as we'd all like.
Maybe cuz my days are kinda busy rn, I even typed it while on the move, so excuse me if I forget something.. cuz that seems ur biggest concern.