PC won't boot after upgrades

avalanche19

Prominent
Apr 29, 2018
I just bought a new motherboard (asrock z370 pro4), cpu (i5-8400), and ram. After installing it all it wouldn't boot, I got a quick flash of light from the gpu once or twice when trying to boot but I'm not getting any power (no fans starting or anything). There was absolutely nothing wrong with my pc or psu before the upgrade, I put the old parts back in and still nothing.

I thought maybe the power button was broken but I'm not positive, I'm 99% sure I put the system panel cords back in the correct spot. Any ideas?

Could you post your system specs.
What do you mean by "I got a quick flash of light from the gpu once or twice"?
Did you see an electric spark coming from your GPU?
An electrical spark coming from the PSU or the GPU could have already caused damage to the GPU.
By any chance, was that an EVGA GPU?
Did you install standoffs under the motherboard?

avalanche19

Prominent
Apr 29, 2018

Asrock Z370 Pro4
Intel i5-8400
MSI R9 380
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2x4gb 2400Mhz
WD blue 1TB hd
Thermaltake TR2 600W psu

The flash is just the gpu turning on for half a second, not a spark. Also sometimes get the led flash quickly on the front of the chassis. Those are the only signals of power though. Standoffs are already installed from the old motherboard and fit the new one obviously.

Turn off your computer, unplug the power cord, press the power button for 15 seconds and finally removed the CMOS battery.
Just leave one stick of RAM
Wait 15 minutes. While you wait make sure the 12v ATX 8-pin, coming from the PSU, is connected to the motherboard.
Check that the GPU is seated properly and also check that PCIe 6-Pin connectors (2) are plugged into the GPU
After the 15 minutes install the CMOS battery back.
Plug the power cord and power ON your PC.