[SOLVED] PC wont boot all I get is a click from the PSU

Kstryker

Commendable
May 10, 2019
Okay so I know this is pretty vague. I ordered a new pre-built pc and didn't like the case it came in so I opted to keep my old case but with the new hardware. Today the pre-built came in and I booted it up no problem straight out of the box as well as making sure my old tower was running today. I do the teardown and move everything over to the new case and now my tower won't start. When I plug in the psu to the wall the rub that comes on the mobo lights up and when I press the power button I get a click from the psu and no boot. I've tried the power supply from both my new pc and old one as well as removing the tower from the case entirely and booting it as I read that I might be getting some grounding problems from the case. A few other minor notes that I'm not sure matter. All the fans in the system excluding the cpu run through one of NZXTs fan controllers which is in turn plugged into a next USB hub. Also the cpu cooling is an aio and I'm not familiar with those but I left it as is so I don't expect that to be an issue. I'm at a loss at what to try next. I also tested both psus with the paperclip fan test and they start just fine. Sorry so long winded.

Solution
Alright I figured it out but a little too late. Turns out the psu power cables are not interchangeable between psus I just had corsair power cable plugged into my new evga psu roast 2 of my hard drives. I someone could explain why that is it would be awesome.
The end of the PSU cables that attach to components are standardized but the end that goes into the back of the power supply are not. Just the way it is. Cables are not interchangeable between PSU brands most of the time.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
You need to isolate the component causing the issue. With just motherboard and PSU connected does it power on? If not it may be that you’ve damaged the motherboard while moving it between systems.

If it does turn on then start adding components one by one until it doesn’t. The fan hub seems like a prime suspect.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You do not say this, but I assume that, when you removed the system from the new case and tried it on a table top, it DID boot OK. Right?

You transplanted your new system to the old case. One common error made in building a new system is failure to check and correct the position of the small metal stand-offs pre-mounted in the back plane of the case to match the mounting holes in the mobo. If you are NOT familiar with that process, post back here for more detail. That error often causes short circuits the prevent operation.

Kstryker

Commendable
May 10, 2019
You do not say this, but I assume that, when you removed the system from the new case and tried it on a table top, it DID boot OK. Right?

You transplanted your new system to the old case. One common error made in building a new system is failure to check and correct the position of the small metal stand-offs pre-mounted in the back plane of the case to match the mounting holes in the mobo. If you are NOT familiar with that process, post back here for more detail. That error often causes short circuits the prevent operation.

So when I removed the motherboard I still wouldn't boot but I did have the aio radiator still mounted in the case because it was pretty challenging to get in and I didn't want to have to do that again so I'll have to try it fully removed. But I don't believe it's a stand offs issue because the only stand offs in the case are the ones I personally installed to mate to the motherboard

Kstryker

Commendable
May 10, 2019
Alright I figured it out but a little too late. Turns out the psu power cables are not interchangeable between psus I just had corsair power cable plugged into my new evga psu roast 2 of my hard drives. I someone could explain why that is it would be awesome.

The end of the PSU cables that attach to components are standardized but the end that goes into the back of the power supply are not. Just the way it is. Cables are not interchangeable between PSU brands most of the time.

Reactions: DSzymborski
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just seconding Archaic. You never ever reuse PSU modular cables unless you know for a fact that they have the same pinout. That even goes for the same brand.

You're lucky if that's all it fried. You can destroy anything that's connected to the wrong power cable, including CPU, GPU, and motherboard.

Reactions: Archaic59

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu modular connections are just that, a modular connection. The pins in the psu determine which wire gets power, which wire gets ground. If the connector at the psu has 12v on the top 3 and ground on the bottom 3 pins, and you use a different psu wire that's pinned to put power in the bottom 3 and ground to the top 3 wires so that the pcie connector is right, what you end up with is a pcie connector that's totally backwards, and you just applied 12v to the gpu ground and attached the grounds to the gpu 12v in. That applies to all connections, including the 20+4. Only the END of the wire is universal, NOT the source.

So everything is at risk of destruction, put 12v into the 3.3v motherboard pin, put 12v to the 5v Sata input, put 12v into the gpu ground and POOF, you just lost a lot of money.

Always, ALWAYS use the wiring that comes with a new psu, NEVER attempt to re-use old wiring unless it's the exact same brand and model psu.

Just because a modular psu connection fits, doesn't mean the wires go to the same place.

Kstryker

Commendable
May 10, 2019
Alright thanks for the heads up I think that the only reason my mobo and gbu did get blasted were because of the fact that the psus recognized that and tripped. I almost just toasted a 3080ti. Looks like I just earned my first Darwin award.