PC won't boot anymore: fans turn on, all components' RGBs light up, but no display input

Nov 11, 2018
Hi!

Yesterday when I came home from work, my ~1 month old computer wouldnt turn on. It being my first custom build, I'm not very familiar with how to troubleshoot this so help would be highly appreciated.

To describe the issue:

Upon pushing the power button, the computer lights up as usual and the fans go on, but the display gets no input and the mouse and keyboard don't light up. Upon looking inside, all fans are spinning and the mobo and GPU light up as usual. There is no error sound or anything, just an orange light on the mobo which should be the stand-by power LED.

I've tried connecting a different display. Other than that I've done a quick check for loose cables, but not much more.

So, how do I narrow down which part is giving me issues? Again, being a novice I don't really know where to begin.

Extremely grateful for any help!

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/26HXMZ

Nov 11, 2018

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. I ended up clearing the CMOS by shorting the cmos pins, which did the trick.

However, the fix was impermanent in the sense that the same problem would come back every time I shut down the computer, and I would need to reset CMOS again.

If anyone else is having this problem, here's how I fixed it.

I remembered that prior to my first boot problems, I had reset my BIOS settings to default (before, I had a slight overclock after using the EZ tuning wizard in asus BIOS) since I had been experiencing some crashes in overwatch and wanted to check if this made it better.

So, after shorting the CMOS and booting i went into BIOS and used the EZ tuning wizard to apply the overclock again, and now the computer runs fine. Whaddya know!