[SOLVED] PC Wont Boot First Time

Mattthewz

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
Hello. I recently built my first PC in December (specs below), and have recently begun to have a problem starting my computer after installing a new GPU. When I first turn the pc on, all fans power up and the lights turn on, the boot screen appears, but then quickly fades away and disappears. My monitor then begins searching for input from all its channels, and eventually displays no signal detected. I then need to hold down the power button of my pc to turn it off, and then press it again to turn it on at which point everything works fine.

The strange thing is this problem has only presented after installing a new GPU. My first GPU (rx 580) did not have this problem, but I had to return it because of it's inability to game. My interim CPU (nvidia 710) had no problems associated with it. When I installed my new GPU (RTX 2060 super), I did a clean install of windows, installed all drivers, and this problem appeared.

At this point I can only suspect that it is a GPU problem because of this (I have tested the monitor and hdmi it uses, they work fine). Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x

GPU - Gigabyte 2060 Super

Motherboard - B450 Tomahawk Max

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw 4x8Gb 3600Mhz

PSU - Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply

Storage - Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2

Solution
Try the RTX 2060 Super in another computer and see if that computer also has issues starting.

If the other computer also has starting issues, then this suggests a problem with the RTX 2060 Super (trying to draw more power than usual; this might mean the card is faulty?). If the other computer has no difficulty starting with the RTX 2060 Super, then that suggests some other problem with your computer (possibly the motherboard?).
It could be that the PSU is starting to fail. I had similar issue awhile back, and the problem was due to failing PSU.

If possible try another PSU (rated at least about 500 W) and see what happens. If necessary borrow another PSU (from neighbor, friend etc.). If the computer boots and runs OK with this other PSU, then the original PSU is most likely failing. If the computer still doesn't boot properly then we'll look at other options.

Mattthewz

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the older gpu drivers?

Try testing one ram stick at a time. The PC won't boot with a bad stick.

Thanks for the reply. I did a reinstall of windows when I put in the new GPU and wiped the SSD, so it shouldn't be a driver problem. The sticks of ram I have were all working fine before the new GPU and problem so I don't think that its them, but I will cycle the RAM to be sure (use two sticks at a time).

Mattthewz

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
It could be that the PSU is starting to fail. I had similar issue awhile back, and the problem was due to failing PSU.

If possible try another PSU (rated at least about 500 W) and see what happens. If necessary borrow another PSU (from neighbor, friend etc.). If the computer boots and runs OK with this other PSU, then the original PSU is most likely failing. If the computer still doesn't boot properly then we'll look at other options.

Thanks for the reply. I actually already ordered the same PSU I have again with one day shipping and replacing the current one. There was no difference and the problem persisted, so I returned the new PSU and ruled out a power supply malfunction. Any other tips?

Try the RTX 2060 Super in another computer and see if that computer also has issues starting.

If the other computer also has starting issues, then this suggests a problem with the RTX 2060 Super (trying to draw more power than usual; this might mean the card is faulty?). If the other computer has no difficulty starting with the RTX 2060 Super, then that suggests some other problem with your computer (possibly the motherboard?).

Solution

Mattthewz

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020

Got it, thanks. I'll try finding a friend whose computer I can use to test this.