[SOLVED] PC won't boot from M.2 NVMe when i add sata device

Mar 17, 2021
Hi. New pc build and having trouble. When I install Windows 10 on M.2 NVMe, pc will boot to Windows. EVERY time I try to add a sata DVD burner to load motherboard utilities, or connect a sata HD, etc, the computer will no longer boot. I undo the sata drive and still will not boot. I have to reinstall WIndows and start over. My system: MSI pro b450 a pro max, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16 GB crucial RAM, GTX 970 gpu.
You think it's a bad MB? Please help.

Solution
Hmmm. I'm not sure and I'm not at home right now and can't check my PCs boot order. Maybe someone else will comment?

However, I'm pretty sure your NVMe should among the devices listed in your boot order.
I think I fixed it. I reinstalled windows using the latest windows creation tool. The one I was using before was a probably five or six years old so I think the new driver files fixed the problem. I was then able to update my motherboard chipset and everything is working well now. Thank you for your help.
Mar 17, 2021
When you say 'the computer will no longer boot', do you mean it won't boot to Windows, and/or it won't even boot to the BIOS? Have you tried getting into the BIOS (keep pressing Delete key when it's trying to boot)?
Hello. Yes.....the pc will boot to the bios and if I don't click delete to enter bios or F11 to choose boot order, then that goes away and that's where it just gets stuck. But yes, I can boot to bios, but no further.

Mar 17, 2021
Hmmm. I'm not sure and I'm not at home right now and can't check my PCs boot order. Maybe someone else will comment?

However, I'm pretty sure your NVMe should among the devices listed in your boot order.
I think I fixed it. I reinstalled windows using the latest windows creation tool. The one I was using before was a probably five or six years old so I think the new driver files fixed the problem. I was then able to update my motherboard chipset and everything is working well now. Thank you for your help.

Solution