PC won't boot - HELP needed

Dinos992

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
Hello there I just finished building my very first gaming pc and it just won't boot. I don't know what to do now. Here is the thing, when I try to power on the computer, the power indicator turns on, the fan in the back is working, the fan on the after-market cooler is working, the CD drive indicator blinks in the beginning so it's working, and everything seems fine. But my screen is just black, it gets the signal (it doesn't say no signal) and it remains black for a long time and nothing is happening.

Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tHBc7P

I searched a bit on the forums and found this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

-I carefully read that motherboard's manual

-I plugged in the 4pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket

-I did NOT install the standoffs under the motherboard because there are only 3 included in the motherboard box that I bought. Also, if I install the standoffs I can see that the IO shield won't align correctly.

-My video card is fully seated

-I attached the 6 pin PCIE connector to my GPU

-I did NOT try to boot with 1 RAM stick installed (for reason stated below)

-I verified that the RAM modules are fully inserted

-I verified that the RAM slots are the correct ones (the gray ones, so that's why I didn't try to boot with 1 RAM stick, it should work that way)

-I removed the plastic guard from the CPU socket

-I installed the CPU correctly, I just noticed the arrow and I put it in and I have it secured

-I checked if I could find any bent pins on my CPU but everything is alright

-I am using an after-market cooler and I have put thermal paste on, just a small line

-The CPU fan connector is connected

-I am not using a stock cooler

-There aren't any loose screws laying on the motherboard, or jammed against it and there aren't any wires run directly under the motherboard BUT I have one problem here, the motherboard is supposed to be screwed in all 9 points but the top-center one cannot be screwed because
1. my hand can't reach the hole and I can't screw it because there is the case blocking it on the way up and the CPU cooler is blocking it on the way out and
2. because the hole is not aligned properly like the rest of the holes, and that's the reason it's not in right now. I have tried installing it before install the CPU cooler and with a lot of struggle it fitted but when I shut the pane so I can screw it back, I heard it popped off so I just put it aside.

-I discharged all static electricity before touching any of your components

-I didn't install the system speaker because it is not provided

-The motherboard manual does not state how to connect the front panel plugs but I noticed where to connect them on the motherboard itself

-I did turn on the power supply switch located on the back of the PSU

-My CPU is probably supported by the BIOS revision installed on my motherboard

-I haven't tried resetting the CMOS because the pc just won't turn on

-I don't have integrated video so I can't try the integrated video port

-I am certain that all cables and components including RAM and expansion cards are tight within their sockets

Solution
the standoffs are actually part of the tray with the case youve bought - so youve done right not using them
the 3 standoffs included in the box are just for if you use a matx board where ive circled below (if they preinstalled these as raised bumps they would short a full size atx board out)

you can rule that out of the equation

that card requires 2 x 6 pin power connectors - do you have both of these cables pliugged in ??
your first post makes it sound like you only have 1 cable plugged in??

I plugged in the 4pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket

the ud3p requires 8 pin atx power

Dinos992

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

My GPU works fine, I was playing every game normally yesterday on my previous computer that I had it installed.

USAFRet

Titan
-I did NOT install the standoffs under the motherboard because there are only 3 included in the motherboard box that I bought. Also, if I install the standoffs I can see that the IO shield won't align correctly.

This would seem to be an issue.
Does the case manual state that the standoffs must be installed? Probably.

Dinos992

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

But how? and where? if there are only 3 standoffs and 9 holes where am I supposed to put them? Also as I said before, if I do that the IO shield won't align with the motherboard.

I read the motherboard manual and I can write you what it says exactly:

Step 4 Installing the Motherboard

Remove the original I/O shield from the back of the case and replace it with the motherboard I/O shield. Place the motherboard within the case by positioning it into its I/O shield. Align the mounting screw holes on the motherboard with their corresponding mounting holes on the case. Secure the motherboard in place with screws.

USAFRet

Titan

What standoffs came with the case?

the standoffs are actually part of the tray with the case youve bought - so youve done right not using them
the 3 standoffs included in the box are just for if you use a matx board where ive circled below (if they preinstalled these as raised bumps they would short a full size atx board out)

you can rule that out of the equation

that card requires 2 x 6 pin power connectors - do you have both of these cables pliugged in ??
your first post makes it sound like you only have 1 cable plugged in??

I plugged in the 4pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket

the ud3p requires 8 pin atx power

Solution

Dinos992

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

OMG YESSSSSSSS!!!
I can't believe that was it, and I remember I connected x2 4-pins on my previous computer but I completely forgot this time.
Thanks a lot dude! Btw, what should I do now that everything is properly connected? What people usually do? Can I overclock the cpu now? and what about the gpu and the ram?

^ NP mate ;)

Get windows installed first mate - I would suggest ssd & hard drive in sata ports 1 & 2
Optical drive in 5 or 6.
Enable ports 1-4 as ahci mode in bios ,ports 5&6 as sata/ide.
For this before windows install ,it will ensure optimal ssd performance.

Bed your system in for a week before thinking about over clocking to make sure your temps etc are all in order.
You should barely hit 50c in prime stress testing with an evo fitted.
You have a very overclockable setup there have no doubt - the only limit will be how good your CPU is.

Dinos992

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Alright man, that's what I will do, thanks alot again.