Question PC wont boot. How to know if CPU or Mobo failure?

Jan 2, 2023
Hi. A few days ago I tried to upgrade my cpu cooler from stock. I had trouble installing it however, as it uses a clipping mount, and made TOO much pressure trying to get it right. After installing it, I changed my gpu (from nvidia to amd, I uninstalled video drivers beforehand).
Problem: I get no display. My mobo suggested the problem was the cpu through debug leds, but no bent pins or damage at all. Tried many things but no luck. I imagine it's either a damaged cpu or mobo, but dont know which so I can buy spare parts.

System:
Ryzen 5600
Amd stock cooler/Thermaltake s100 se
B550m msi pro vdh wifi
Teamgroup 3200mhz 2x8
Evga gtx 1060 3gb/ Msi Rx6650xt
Samsung 980evo 1tb ssd / Wd1tb hdd

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

I changed my gpu (from nvidia to amd, I uninstalled video drivers beforehand).
You should've installed the latest drivers for the new GPU after the GPU was installed into your system, not beforehand. In fact, you're advised to use DDU to remove all prior GPU drivers, then shut down, remove your old GPU, drop in the new GPU, power up and then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from GPU maker's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU as well. Please include the age of the unit as well.

Lastly, what cooler did you swap over to?

How to know if CPU or Mobo failure?
You take your processor over to a known working motherboard with the right BIOS version and see if you don't have any issues with POST. Take a known working processor from a friend or neighbor and then drop it into your motherboard(again, making sure that the motherboard can support the CPU you want to drop in, since an incompatible BIOS will prevent POST as well).

Jan 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

I changed my gpu (from nvidia to amd, I uninstalled video drivers beforehand).
You should've installed the latest drivers for the new GPU after the GPU was installed into your system, not beforehand. In fact, you're advised to use DDU to remove all prior GPU drivers, then shut down, remove your old GPU, drop in the new GPU, power up and then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from GPU maker's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU as well. Please include the age of the unit as well.

Lastly, what cooler did you swap over to?

How to know if CPU or Mobo failure?
You take your processor over to a known working motherboard with the right BIOS version and see if you don't have any issues with POST. Take a known working processor from a friend or neighbor and then drop it into your motherboard(again, making sure that the motherboard can support the CPU you want to drop in, since an incompatible BIOS will prevent POST as well).
Thanks for the reply

Psu is Deepcool dq650w-m. It's nearly an year old, and the new cpu cooler is the thermaltake s200 se

I didnt explain myself fully, but I believe I did the "gpu swap" procedure right. First I (or more accurately my brother) used a 3rd party software to uninstall all video drivers. After shutdown I had the cooler issue, and then swapped gpus. I thought the new video drivers would install as I powered on, but i had no display. I discarded the gpu problem because of the LEDs on the mobo.

I think I'll try the gpu on another pc so to confirm I didnt mess up.

I wish I could just ask a friend for their pc to test what works, but happens that in my region amd is not popular at all, so finding soneone who happens to have components has been rough. So I am trying to find some shop that does "diagnostics".

TRENDING THREADS