PC won't boot: I could use some help

dhlucke

Polypheme
1. I was installing a bunch of software, including The sims and Adobe Premier. They installed fine. I did happen to uninstall Adobe Premier the first time so that I could redo it with a custom install in which I ended up just using the normal settings anyways. I never did run the programs.
2. Later, while cruising the web, the screen went black instantly and I can't remember if it shut the PC down or restarted. Either way it came up with a BSOD (in XP!) that was rather long and stated that my computer had a serious crash and that I should undo any software or hardware changes that I might have done by getting into safe mode.
3. I tried restarting, it hit the bios, and I think I hit the wrong key for network boot instead of F8 (as the BSOD said) for safemode. I can't even remember how to get into safe mode anymore since I haven't had a crash in over a year.
4. It kinda just hung there doing nothing.
5. I restarted and nothing would happen. The monitor is on, but I get no synch and no keyboard lights. My HSF fan is running, my 2 80mm fans are running, and the fan on my videocard is running. I don't know if there was a little LED on the motherboard before, but I can't see one lit now.
6. I've checked out the inside of the case, everything seems fine. I reset the CMOS (I think it did at least, I followed the instructions in the manual), and have switched some power connectors around for the hard drive.

I'm getting nothing. It just spins the fans. Another thing to note is that I can't shut the PC down by holding the powerbutton on my case, I have to pull the plug.

Running for a year:
Antec 1040 with 400W PSU
AMD Thunderbird 1000
Thermaltake 6cu HSF
ECS K7S5A
2x256MB Crucial PC2100 (were at highest settings)
Gainward GeForce 2 (running at 235/505 overclocked)
56K Modem
Iomega Zip100
Toshiba DVD
HP CD-RW 9100i

Running for a month:
Western Digital 1200JB 120GB Hard Drive SE (2 partitions, 30GB,90GB)

Running for a couple weeks:
Win XP SP1

Let me know if there's anything else I should say. I'm not experienced with a hard crash like this. I've been running XP for over a year and haven't had a single crash.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
my first guess is your ram took a dive. next guess is the cpu or mother board took a dive.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ok, I pulled out the second stick of memory and booted the PC. It got into the bios where I reset some basic settings. I didn't set anything to aggressive settings. Then when I saved them I got nothing. Black screen and no synch to the monitor.

I'll try the video card next.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Well, it was a bad stick of memory. Anyone know Crucial's exchange policy off the top of their heads :smile:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yeah, I've been running it all morning fine with just the one stick. If I have the bad one in the first slot the PC won't boot, like above. If I have it in the second slot it will boot into the bios but just keep restarting and being a pain. It won't boot into windows, only keep trying to get into safe mode.

So for now I only have 256MB of memory.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Thanks!