PC won't boot if I have my hdd plugged in.

DrSwimmy

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Earlier this week my 840 evo died abruptly, and I ordered a 970evo. After installing it, I ran into some trouble installing Windows 10. I created a boot device using a flash drive. I would get a blue screen (not a bsod) and nothing else. I even tried setting up and using another flash drive to see if that was the issue, it wasn't. I managed to circumvent this by not using uefi usb in the boot menu. I also had to unplug my hdd to get it to work.

Got it up and running, and installed all my drivers. I shut down my PC, and replugged my hdd in. Now I it hangs at the screen with the windows and spinning dots. I've waited nearly an hour. If I unplug my hdd it works again.

I've tried disabling all UEFI devices in my BIOS boot priority, as well as everything but my 970evo. Still no luck. After my mobo splash screen, but before it boots to windows, I get a black screen with underscores
for about 5 seconds. It also takes much longer (30+ seconds) to get to the mobo splash screen when I have my hdd plugged. Finally, my hdd only shows up in the "Hard Disk BBS Priority" menu, and not the regular boot priority.

I'll list all my specs, even the ones I dont think are relevant. Just in case.

SPECS

• MoBo: MSI b350 mortar arctic
    CPU: Ryzen R5 1600 @3.8
    CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7
    RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz
    GPU: EVGA SC Black Edition 1070ti
    PSU: Seasonic g650w
    Case: NZXT s340
    SSD: Samsung 970 evo 250gb
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 7200rpm
    Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-p14s redux 140, 1x Noctua NF-ps 14 redux 120m

DrSwimmy

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I try to boot from the Installation Media, and I get past the windows logo but the I just get a black screen. If I boot from it without the HDD plugged in it works fine.

I did have windows 7 installed on the hdd at one point if that matters.