Question PC won't boot if I shut down it down properly / unless i hold down power button.

Zeah09

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
So this has been happening for a while now, and this is how it works, if I shut down my computer properly through windows and attempt to open it up again, there's no post, the fans would turn on, then off, then turn on again then the fans would stay on and nothing would happen. BUT if I just turn off my computer through the PSU's on/off switch and not through windows, then turn on the computer, it would boot. This is how I bypass the problem, so by the time I press shutdown on windows, I wait for the monitor to turn off, then at the same time, I flip the PSU switch, then if I turn on the computer, it'll boot up fine. Ok here's the last thing, if ever I shut down my computer properly and then turn it on, it won't post right? but if I turn off the flip switch at the PSU, and then press and hold the power button for 5 secs, as I'm holding the power button, I flip the PSU on, then the computer will post without any problems, pretty weird and it's really bothering me, what could be the problem and how could i fix it?

Specs:
Intel Core i5 4690k
MSI B85-G43 Gaming
ID-Cooling Frostflow+ 240 AIO
Kingston HyperX 16GB (8GBx2)
Galax GTX 1060 EXOC White
FSP Hexa 600w 80+

EDIT: This only happened when I changed my motherboard.

Last edited:

Zeah09

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
My understanding is the FSP Hexa line are one of the lowest tiered PSUs they make. How long have you had it?
My initial though process would be upgrade to a good quality unit and I would suspect the issue to disappear.

Have you got a good qualtiy unit you can swap in to test?

I'm gonna go grab a EVGA 750BQ Bronze tomorrow for $40 it's brand new though, I know it's pretty low tier but it's worth a try, I don't overclock anything too so it should be fine.
To be honest, I doubt it's the power supply, this only happened when I switched motherboards so I think it's the motherboard.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm gonna go grab a EVGA 750BQ Bronze tomorrow for $40 it's brand new though, I know it's pretty low tier but it's worth a try, I don't overclock anything too so it should be fine.
To be honest, I doubt it's the power supply, this only happened when I switched motherboards so I think it's the motherboard.
Understood, but regardless, you'll probably want to upgrade the PSU to a good quality unit anyway, otherwise there's a big risk of instability or potential damage to other components.

The motherboard info is probably useful for original thread. If it only started occuring after the motherboard change, it could well be, but I would still upgrade to a good quality unit anyway.

Zeah09

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
Understood, but regardless, you'll probably want to upgrade the PSU to a good quality unit anyway, otherwise there's a big risk of instability or potential damage to other components.

The motherboard info is probably useful for original thread. If it only started occuring after the motherboard change, it could well be, but I would still upgrade to a good quality unit anyway.

Yeah, I'll edit the thread, but I'll update you ASAP tomorrow.
Do you think by any chance the Power Supply could have damaged the motherboard?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, I'll edit the thread, but I'll update you ASAP tomorrow.
Do you think by any chance the Power Supply could have damaged the motherboard?
Only one way to ever find out, plug in a new PSU and find out.
If nothing obviously went wrong with the original PSU then not likely, but just poor quality PSUs are renowned for causing instability and eventually failing, taking other parts with them.

Zeah09

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
Only one way to ever find out, plug in a new PSU and find out.
If nothing obviously went wrong with the original PSU then not likely, but just poor quality PSUs are renowned for causing instability and eventually failing, taking other parts with them.
Ok! Quick Update, seems like I fixed my own problem and I'm really happy about it.
So I messed around with the BIOS settings and I came across this setting "EuP 2013" on Advanced > Power Management, it was set to disabled so I enabled it and boom, I tried shutting down my pc multiple times and turning it on again to ensure that it was really fine, and it was! Thanks for the help and I really appreciate it, but I'm still going to get a new power supply tho.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If "This only happened when I changed my motherboard", then it is likely because you neglected to reinstall the operating system and are using some kind of holdover OS from a previous build.
OP showed it was a BIOS setting.

So I messed around with the BIOS settings and I came across this setting "EuP 2013" on Advanced > Power Management, it was set to disabled so I enabled it
Which would make sense as it is the power saving feature. And could well be related to the motherboard change in relation to a poorer quality PSU.

Zeah09

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
If "This only happened when I changed my motherboard", then it is likely because you neglected to reinstall the operating system and are using some kind of holdover OS from a previous build.
Most likely yeah but I've reinstalled my operating system before but it seems to be that it wasn't the problen

Zeah09

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
OP showed it was a BIOS setting.

Which would make sense as it is the power saving feature. And could well be related to the motherboard change in relation to a poorer quality PSU.

So i pretty much think it didn't handle my hard drives that much and that's why it needed the power saving feature because I used up 4 hard drives and 1 ssd in that low tier power supply.