Question PC wont boot/install win 10

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
EDIT: The 6700k was the culprit! I swapped CPU's just to test, works like a charm.. I never expected it! Good luck anyone else with this problem!

Hey guys, I've spent the last couple of days trying to get a work PC going. I'm getting error code 0xc000021a after the windows logo when its trying to load the installer from my flash drive.

Asus Prime B250M-A
32gb 2166mhz ram 8x4.
GTX 970
Corsair 600m psu
Samsung PM871 M.2 2280 256GB SSD

The computer started out as an xps 8900. The complaint was that it wouldnt boot anymore.

So I bought a new case and motherboard because all of dell's stuff is proprietary.

What I'm trying to do is just install windows on the SSD using bootable media, I've tried reloading the installer on the flash drive, formatting, I even tried a brand new flash drive with the same problem.

Other things I've tried:

Reseating CPU
Reseating RAM
Trying each ram stick individually
Running no GPU
CMOS reset
Bios Update
Different HDD (tried an 860 evo standard sata)
I tried a different power supply. (I thought this was the answer initially, it got me to the windows installer where I was able to format the drive and prepare partitions but after starting the install, it said the installation couldn't complete, shut down, and then started doing the same error code as before.)

My most recent problem is the computer occasionally allowing me to get the beginning of the windows setup but then failing.

I managed to get into the command prompt once, Diskpart would not load, a few minutes later the machine crashed with a BSOD.

I've looked in many other places for this answer but I'm hoping someone out there can help!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Tried making a new installer on a new USB?

you shouldn't get this booting off a USB -
This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-0xc000021a--status-system-process-terminated

makes me think the installer is the problem

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Tried making a new installer on a new USB?

you shouldn't get this booting off a USB -
This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-0xc000021a--status-system-process-terminated

makes me think the installer is the problem

Hey Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I would say for the most part that the only environment I have access to is the bios.. I'm attempting a clean install of windows 10 on a formatted drive.

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
well, I did sort of mean on another PC...

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Did you buy a new licence for WIn 10 as you won't be able to use the licence that was on the Dell. Dell have special OEM licences that only work on their devices. Or does work have a volume licence of windows?

I see,
Yes i've used the windows media creation tool a few times. I tried using it on 2 different flash drives but the result has been the same.

I have a windows 10 pro key, but installing windows shouldn't be a problem without it correct?

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
ok, its not the usb then... had to try

I was going to suggest a bootable version of Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool that I have been suggesting for 3 years and the website is down :(

you can download this and run Prime95 - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

did you check pins on motherboard?

I will try that,

the motherboard pins are all fine, I checked them with a magnifier.
I've got a 2nd 6th gen intel setup that I'll swap parts back and forth from to figure out the culprit. My gut says mobo even if it is new. We will see!