Question PC won't boot maybe I kill my CPU or PSU?

Jan 2, 2020
Hello all,

I recently built my own water-cooling pc.
I finish the build few weeks ago and it is working fine until tonight,it wouldn't boot up all of a sudden.

I have always want to make a power meter,so that I can monitor my pc power usage.
So I make one and it look like this in this video https://youtu.be/G0AlH3vtT0k.

I try the power meter several times and it work,no short circuit. so I decide to connect it to my pc to test.
Just connect the power meter to the socket and the pc power supply to the power meter. Very simple.

I make sure the computer is completely turned off. I did not press the psu switch. But I turn off the power supply from the socket and plug the pc power cord into the power meter. The power meter work and is showing how many watt the pc is using at that moment. But when I press the power button,the pc won't boot.

I am using a Aorus X570 Xtreme motherboard and EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 P2 power supply unit.
There is a Clear CMOS button on the back of the mb,it lit up when power is connected.
Normally,when the pc is completely turned off,you can't see a single light inside the case. Only the CMOS Button light is on. But when I press the power button and trying to boot the pc,the CMOS button light turn off immediately. Not even the fan,the light on the mb is turning on. Its completely dark.

I don't understand what is happening.
My CPU is R9 3950X and my ram is G skill Trident Z RGB 3200 Cl14 16gb x 4.
I did overclock my cpu to 4.3Ghz all core @1.3V and all four 16gb ram at their XMP setting 3200 cl14.
I run cinebench r20,blender,3d mark,aida64 stress test,prime95 and it all work stably.
Maybe I suddenly kill the cpu or the psu or mb when I turn off the power supply from the socket?

Even if I unplug the power meter,the pc just won't boot and have the same result everytime I press the power button. Changing the socket won't help,turning the psu switch didn't help either. The CMOS button light just turn off whenever I press the power button.

One thing I notice is that when I connect the psu to the power supply,all the usb device that emit light is blinking constantly as if power supply is not stable. But I am not so sure.

I try to clear the bios setting,but same result.

I am kinda desperate now. Please help.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
i doubt anything happened to your cpu, but surely your PSU is affected which is evident from the blinking usb peripherals when tuned off which indicates a malfunctioning by the 5VSB, i don't know how this happened or why though

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
try turning on your PC without any usb devices connected
if doesnt work then taking both observations into consideration
  1. PC doesnt turn on
  2. 5VSB erratic behaviour
then there maybe some sort of common cause failure upstream of the 5vsb connection with the AC mains rectified
uD9n9ms.gif

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020
try turning on your PC without any usb devices connected
if doesnt work then taking both observations into consideration
  1. PC doesnt turn on
  2. 5VSB erratic behaviour
then there maybe some sort of common cause failure upstream of the 5vsb connection with the AC mains rectified
uD9n9ms.gif
Thanks for your reply.
I try unplugging all the usb devices but it still won't turn on.
I should mention I also use a remote control (silverstone es02-usb) to remotely power on my pc. And it connect to my case's power button. It work before, so I doubt this is the cause. But I think I will check to make sure.
Now I think the PSU is more likely the cause of all this. But I didn't hear any strange sound from the PSU.
I will examine the whole PC today.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
I should mention I also use a remote control (silverstone es02-usb)
then this is what is causing your problem , that device loses Sync with your remote if it loses power , which you have done by unplugging the PSU from the socket
that still doesnt explain why your peripherals are blinking , does it keep that behaviour without the inductance meter ?