PC wont boot, no POST, no beeps, no display.

CoffeMug1

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
I can't work out what the problem is here. I recently installed a new Hard Drive, CPU, GPU, and RAM. When I turn the PC on the lights come on and the fans start spinning but the PC does nothing. No display or bios on the monitor. I even removed the GPU and tried using the on board gpu but still nothing. I removed the ram and the hard drive and still no beeps or anything. The Motherboard and the PSU have always been working fine as well as the monitor. I even cleared the CMOS by removing the battery temporarily. I really do not know what the problem is here. My parts are as followed.
1 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16000MHz
Seagate 1tb HDD
600w ATX PSU
AMD FX 6100 3.3 GHz Six Core
N68C-GS FX Motherboard
The GPU is a GTX650 but It is not connected currently as I am trying to use the on board gpu.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Solution
Something else that may be affecting it is the RAM... you bought 1 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz. Which would be Single Channel if you're using the new RAM module only, and the CPU supports Dual-Channel. Is your old RAM also DDR3?, if so try the old RAM.
BE would be Black Edition (K edition) Unlocked CPU. all FX editions are back editions. The motherboard is AM3+ but it supports AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ CPUs.

The p1.00-1A may be the BIOS version, the BIOS download list includes a 1.00 BIOS which is the oldest available for the motherboard. So it's possible the mobo may need a previous BIOS update to support the FX CPU. What happens if you try the old CPU on?.

azguard4

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
It could be the PSU but with the CPU fan spinning up and your drives, not likely. The BIOS is loaded directly from a chip on the mobo; no POST means no BIOS, which tells me bad chip/mobo.

You need to be able to test another mobo, and PSU I suppose.

The PSU can power all fans and hard drives allright... but not power the motheboard to achieve BIOS post. I have seen this a number of times, so it is quite possibly the PSU.

A bad motherboard can beep or not... but the beeps may not be identifiable, a bad PSU never allows a BIOS beep which need a BIOS post.

azguard4

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

I've had BIOS beep codes over faulty PSU activity, it depends on the extent that the PSU is faulty. So to say a bad PSU "never" allows a BIOS beep code isn't entirely true.

When we say bad PSU we mean dead PSU. Faulty is something else... but a bad/dead PSU will never power up for a BIOS post that would report results on the screen and beeps. May only beep if the quick post is enabled.

As far as I know a bad/dead PSU is one that does not make the BIOS post, faulty PSU may be something else. I've seen bad internal connections on faulty PSUs, so that may be what you saw. And one in such condition would not be considered dead.

CoffeMug1

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

Thanks for the reply, I will have a go at testing another PSU, I hope it's not the motherboard because I don't have another one spare to test with. Prior to the new build the motherboard and the PSU have always worked fine, but I will try a new PSU and post the results.

I'd suggest using the old CPU.. it may be the FX needs a BIOS update to be recognized. You'd have to do that with the old CPU on.

I have this board and it works good -- but I wonder if the pci-e slot is a issue cause its a 1.0 also mine worked with out drivers out side of windows vista witch picked everything up on the board

also the onboard vga should display the bios by default with out needing a hard drive

I'm sure you re checked all the cables and there plugged in correctly??

also I don't think the board has a onboard speaker or buzzer you would need to hook up the case speaker for this [???]

I have used the 6100 am3+ and 2 am2 chips on this of mine and all seems good

CoffeMug1

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

All of the cables I am sure are plugged in correctly (I don't know if there is anything obvious you think I may have missed?). As for the beeper I had to buy one and connect it to the Motherboard as this one does not come with a beeper.

CoffeMug1

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

I just put in the old CPU and it's working again, so does that mean that the PSU and the Motherboard are fine and it's the new CPU that's the problem?

Right!... PSU and Mobo are fine. The new CPU may need a BIOS update to work. [strike]The RAM could also have a part in the issue. Is it DDR2? If so, you will need DDR3 RAM to use the FX-6100 CPU[/strike]

I had missed the lower line of the initial post where you mentioned DDR3 Corsair Vengeance. So it's not the cause... a BIOS update may do the trick.

CoffeMug1

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

I updated the bios to the newest 1.40 and put the new CPU in but it's gone back to the original problem now. So I think it might be a bad processor maybe?

Edit: Would it be worth clearing the cmos again now that I have a new bios installed?

No, I don't think so.. You may have to tweak something in the BIOS... maybe voltage. since the Motherboard is compatible with AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ and not all use the same voltage, you may have to adjust it to what the CPU requires. You can see in the image that the CPU is compatible with the mobo and it did not even need a BIOS update, so it must be something in the BIOS that has to be tweaked. Voltage most likely. We have to do some research on the CPU specs.

2hrhemx.png

CoffeMug1

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

Okay I will put in the old CPU again and check out the BIOS voltages, maybe tweak it to the 95w if need be. It's currently 4am here in the UK, so I might have to do this in the morning. I will post the results as soon as I can. Hopefully you will be on tomorrow to discuss it. Thanks a lot for your help and I''ll keep this thread updated.

I should also mention I have never changed CPU voltages before so I might have to research it a lot before I do it.

Something else that may be affecting it is the RAM... you bought 1 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz. Which would be Single Channel if you're using the new RAM module only, and the CPU supports Dual-Channel. Is your old RAM also DDR3?, if so try the old RAM.

Solution

The voltage modification should be very small... only fraction of a volt.
EDIT 1: The FX-6100 voltage is between 1.2-1.4v at stock frequencies. If the BIOS is set between these voltages, don't change a thing... if you do, you might overclock it and that is not convenient at this time.

Also using a single RAM module (Single channel) may be affecting it somewhat I don't think much but the specifications say it supports Dual-Channel memory, so try using two modules. If youf old RAM is also DDR3, try it with that or combined with the new module. The motherboard is something else, it may not like single channel memory and both may complement eachother to cause the issue. Just a wild guess.

EDIT 2: Well, wrong guess I suppose since according to research it does seem to run on Single chanel memory.

CoffeMug1

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

This was the problem all along! It's up and running now. Luckily I had some of the same RAM which I could borrow from another PC. I can't believe that something like this can cause it to not even post or at least give off some beep codes. But yes, the CPU wanted two RAMs installed rather than just one. Thanks a lot for your help mate, very much appreciated. :)