LINADIA

Prominent
Oct 2, 2020
Hey, forum

I was just casually playing a game on my pc today, nothing interesting really. But then my pc lost power randomly and bricked.
Before that I kept looking at voltage and temperatures - they were okay. No overvoltage, no overheat.
Cpu runs at 65° max, GPU at 50-60° at 70% fan speed, with auto speed (which is about 20~30% temp on GPU goes up to 60~65°)

Right after my pc shut down I check if it was a power out issue. That's not the case, because i still had power in my apartment.
I try to tyrn on the PC but it gives no response, literally nothing happens.
I decided to switch off the PSU for a while. Right after I come back, I switch it back, press power button and I see that fans are spinning, mouse and keyboard are receiving power but there's no post or aaany video response.

My pc doesn't beep by default so I can't really tell what's up.

My parts:
CPU amd 6300fx
PSU be quiet system power9 700W (It's a new one, got a week ago, had no issues with it for a week up until now)
GPU: Amd radeon sapphire R9 390
SSD Kingston 120gb + Windows 10 64bit
HDD WD 1TB
RAM kingston 4gb x 2
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-970a-ds3
cpu fan Aerocool CORE PLUS
2 case fans iCute 12025

• I tried to swtch ram around
  • Resetting cmos bios
  • Reseating gpu
  • Unplugging HDD. At this rate I don't know what to do. I can't do anything with this junky pc.

I was wondering if it's the outlet issue, but not really, I use a surge protection extension cord. But maybe it has to do something with the case. (Even tho it worked for so many years wth)

LINADIA

Prominent
Oct 2, 2020
If you just got this new PSU a week ago, do you still have the old PSU to switch back?
Have you tried booting with your graphics card in the 2nd x16 slot?
The old psu I threw away because it broke due to a short circuit.
Its plugged in into pciex16 right now, i haven't tried to switch it to pciex4

Last edited:

LINADIA

Prominent
Oct 2, 2020
SO, little update
I have tried literally everything I could and figured that the issue is in the GPU. I replaced the gpu with an old one that doesn't require any psu support. PC booted perfectly straight into windows.

I have no idea why GPU gave up on me.
I have another old card that is barely existing drawing last breaths. It's artifacting a lot. But even so it was working.

The R9 390 one was performing as it should without any issues before yesterday's shutdown. The card doesn't smell burnt so I guess no termal damage has been dealt. /shrug/

The UEFI button on it is lit, the monitor detects the card, as in if I unplug DVI it says "No device connected", if it's connected it says "No signal"

What am I supposed to do even... any ideas?

SO, little update
I have tried literally everything I could and figured that the issue is in the GPU. I replaced the gpu with an old one that doesn't require any psu support. PC booted perfectly straight into windows.

I have no idea why GPU gave up on me.
I have another old card that is barely existing drawing last breaths. It's artifacting a lot. But even so it was working.

The R9 390 one was performing as it should without any issues before yesterday's shutdown. The card doesn't smell burnt so I guess no termal damage has been dealt. /shrug/

The UEFI button on it is lit, the monitor detects the card, as in if I unplug DVI it says "No device connected", if it's connected it says "No signal"

What am I supposed to do even... any ideas?
Does the old card also need a PCIE electrical connection from the PSU as the R9, or does is it fed by the motherboard's slot ? If this is the case, it could still be a failing PSU, and not failing GPU.
Can you test the R9 390 in another PC ?

LINADIA

Prominent
Oct 2, 2020
Okay, so... another update.

Basically I have found an old gpu from 2011, Geforce GTX 660, it does require 1 x 6 pin

PSU works just fine, motherboard too, and guess what, my pc booted. After all I guess my gpu died, even though that was the last thing I was expecting it to die on me. I will take it to a repair shop, since it does recieve power but nothing happens on display.

Thanks eveyone for the help! <3

Reactions: egda23