Question PC won't boot with RAM in dual channel configuration ?

Sep 12, 2021
So i've been using my new computer for 2 months now without problem then when I upgraded my stock amd cooler to hyper 212 air cooler my pc suddenly doesn't booot. At first it boots up then i entered the bios then after i set xmp profile and saved my settings the pc didnt boot afterwards. In my mobo's debug light it indicates that there is a problem with the cpu. So i tried everything to find what is causing the problem.

I found out that when im running on dual channel It is the cause of the problem, but when I only use 1 ram in ram slot 2 it works fine but when I add 1 more ram to either ram slot 3 or 4 it wont boot up. When I tried running on ram in to ram slot 3 and 4 it also wont boot so I think there is a problem with ram slot 3 and 4. I already tried using other ram but still it won't. I also tried using a new motherboard and still the problem persist. Also i tried updating the bios resetting the cmos and reseating the cpu but nothing works. I also tried looking for bent cpu pins but i cant find anything. Does anyone know what's the real problem?

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
Rtx 2060
2x8gb 3200mhz ram
256gb m.2 ssd
1 tb hdd
550w 80+ bronze psu coolermaster

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Memory controller resides in the processor and controls the dimm slots. Since the issue began replacing cpu cooler, there is a good chance between removing cpu, cleaning past, seating cpu and installing heatsink etc, there is a difficult to see bent cpu pin or heatsink is on far too tight. Not sure if Hyper 212 can be over tensioned, if so just finger tight and half turn more with screw driver.

Reactions: Anzu0429
Sep 12, 2021
Memory controller resides in the processor and controls the dimm slots. Since the issue began replacing cpu cooler, there is a good chance between removing cpu, cleaning past, seating cpu and installing heatsink etc, there is a difficult to see bent cpu pin or heatsink is on far too tight. Not sure if Hyper 212 can be over tensioned, if so just finger tight and half turn more with screw driver.
I already tried reinstalling the cpu cooler a lot of times and I also tried going back to the stock cooler to see if it works but the problem still persist. I noticed that there is some burned pins in the cpu some part has a discoloration does it have anything to do with the issue? I never overclocked my cpu I only set the xmp profile on to use the commercialized ram speed thats it.

Sep 12, 2021
Hmm possibly. Best take it to pc store and have them analyse physically. If cpu is burned then maybe that's an excuse to upgrade to 5600x.
But they said discolouration is normal and it wont affect much the cpu. Maybe there's other way to fix this. I can't upgrade yet cause it's just been 2 months since i build this computer, it's pretty early for an upgrade.

Sep 12, 2021
Some oily residue ... probably.
Resolution of the photo is not good enough to see properly.

Here you can see example with burnt pins.

I see in some articles with the same problem that they solved it by loosening the cooler's screw. I did that but it didnt help, I also tried using the stock cooler. In terms of bent cpu pins? Can it be super small that I may have miss it?

Reactions: LeviTech

TRENDING THREADS