Question PC won't boot past POST after installing AIO CPU cooler ?

deeve

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
I have an ASROCK X570 MB with a Ryzen 7 CPU. While removing the stock CPU fan to replace it with a AIO watercooler the thermal paste was "glued" pretty solid to the CPU. While trying to loosen the thermal paste, the CPU pulled out of the socket. I did not unlock the CPU from the socket and ended up bending a couple of pins, which I believe I straightened successfully. When I put the CPU back into the MB it went in effortlessly. All the pins also look really good and I did not see where any were missing.

Once everything was back together, the computer wont boot past the post check. I get two red LED post checker lights stay on when I turn it on that indicate CPU and DRAM fault. After a few seconds the PC reboots and starts the cycle over again. I made sure everything is seated well to include the GPU and memory sticks. I removed the CPU and checked it again to confirm all looks well there in addition to testing each RAM stick independently. I also cleared the CMOS with a jumper just in case.

The AIO fans are connected to the CPU_FAN1 and the pump is connected to the CPU_FAN2/WP.
Here is a link to the pics of my CPU pins. There is a little extra thermal paste on the sides that I cleaned up after taking the pics. I used MasterGel Pro which is not supped to be electrically conductive, but I did clean it anyway.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/swzAQ6A

Everything looks really good to me. The socket looks good too from what I can see. The only other thing I can think of is to somehow remove the plastic socket cover to see if something under there is messed up but I have no idea how to do that.

Any thoughts or suggestions on where to go from here?

deeve

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
I was hoping the same thing and it would be an easy fix. I did check the manual and it lists fan2 as Ana optional connnection point for the water pump. I even tried connecting the original cooler fan to where it was connected before and it did not seem to help.

deeve

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Thank you for that. I have cleaned off the cpu but wasn't able figure out the socket. I have since found a video that shows how to take the top off of the am4 socket. I'll do that later today and report back.

deeve

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
good point I didn't think of.. I did have a wrist strap on when I pulled it out, but took it off for the photos. Probably should leave it on anytime I'm handling the CPU.

deeve

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Closing the loop on this. The socket in the motherboard ended up with some bent pins that could not be fixed. Expensive lesson learned. Next time I'll run it a little hot to get the paste to soften up.

TRENDING THREADS