[SOLVED] PC won't boot. PSU or GPU?

Shizuhe

Prominent
Nov 12, 2019
Hi. I bought a RX480 from my friend few weeks ago (maybe 1 or 2 years of use? idk). It was working 'til yesterday. Today i tried booting it up and it stopped working. CPU led fans blink for a second and it doesn't start up (seems that it doesn't have enough power to boot, but it was working yesterday?). Removing the GPU power cables fixes it. PC boots just as fine with my old R7 250 (no power cables).

GPU temps were fine, didn't get past 70º C.
I raised the power limit about 15%, it was getting 150w-ish max.

My build is:
FX-8300
GA-78LMT-S2 rev1.1
Corsair CX430 (i think it's non-modular)
Two 120mm fans plugged on mobo
One HDD and one SSD

I'm thinking about getting another PSU, but i'm not certain if that is the problem. I can't think of a place where i can test the GPU too, none of my friends have good PSUs.
Thanks!

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'm thinking about getting another PSU, but i'm not certain if that is the problem
Even if it isn't I would replace the PSU anyway, not only does it not meet recommended requirements, but it's also the old Corsair green label, which were a poor platform, especially in relation to their new grey label platform.

Ultimately the RX480 typically recommends 500W, but usually a good quality 450W would be fine. The PSU you have neither meets that spec and is not great quality. So even if you did return the GPU, you'd likely still want to upgrade the PSU for any decent GPU upgrade.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'm thinking about getting another PSU, but i'm not certain if that is the problem
Even if it isn't I would replace the PSU anyway, not only does it not meet recommended requirements, but it's also the old Corsair green label, which were a poor platform, especially in relation to their new grey label platform.

Ultimately the RX480 typically recommends 500W, but usually a good quality 450W would be fine. The PSU you have neither meets that spec and is not great quality. So even if you did return the GPU, you'd likely still want to upgrade the PSU for any decent GPU upgrade.

Solution

Shizuhe

Prominent
Nov 12, 2019
I see, thanks for the reply!

I'm trying to choose between CX450 or a CX550. The 450W version is 20% cheaper where i live. Am i losing too much getting the cheaper version?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yup, that's the one. Thanks for checking that out for me. I'll buy and test it, if it works I will let you know.
Again, no loss if it isn't the cause, as you've gone from a poor unit, to a good quality unit that will protect your system. If the restarts still occur, you can replace the GPU knowing that whatever you put in afterwards, has a good PSU behind it.

Far too often we see damaged systems from poor PSUs!