[SOLVED] PC won't boot, PSU still works after breaker flipped. Is my motherboard toast?

EvanSlowski

Commendable
Jul 3, 2019
Last week the breaker to the plug that my PC is connected to flipped and my PC shut off, it is connected to a surge protected power bar. After that happened it wouldn't turn back on so I left it overnight and the next morning, my PC booted back up normally. I left it running for 6 days as I was too scared to shut it off. Before bed one night I decided to shut it off as it seemed to be working normally again but it now won't turn on (this has been 48+ hours now). There are no obvious signs that anything on my motherboard have been fried and there was no smell indicating that.

I've tried:

• Paper clip tested the PSU and confirmed that it still works
  • Removing/resetting CMOS
  • Reseating the CPU
  • Made sure all connectors on PSU are fully plugged in
  • Removed all RAM slots and tried booting with a single stick
When I try to turn on my PC, I get a click from the PSU and all the EZ Debug lights flash on for a second then it doesn't boot up. If my motherboard was dead I'm not sure why it would come back on and work for those 6 days then stop working after shutting down my PC completely. Kind of lost on what to try next.

Solution
The paper clip test can't confirm that your PSU still works properly. All it can do is confirm a PSU that is totally dead is actually totally dead. Depending on the specs -- which you didn't provide -- I'd be more inclined to swap out the PSU first. Only if this was a known working PSU, as in operating normally with a PC, not simply showing signs of life when powered, would I then move on to worrying about components.

DSzymborski

Titan
The paper clip test can't confirm that your PSU still works properly. All it can do is confirm a PSU that is totally dead is actually totally dead. Depending on the specs -- which you didn't provide -- I'd be more inclined to swap out the PSU first. Only if this was a known working PSU, as in operating normally with a PC, not simply showing signs of life when powered, would I then move on to worrying about components.

Solution