Question PC won't boot, stuck at Windows 10 spinning dots logo (SSD works on another PC)

andreamit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2015
This started to happen without altering anything in the computer configuration, no peripherals were installed etc.

At boot, bios will load, then Win10 logo appears with spinning dots but after a few seconds the dots freeze and nothing will happen. I tried creating a USB bootable media but the same exact thing happens. If I try to enter repair mode the system freezes on the "preparing automatic repair" screen.

I removed the SSD and tried it on a different PC and it's booting with no problems.

Motherboard is Asus P5GD2-X

Any idea what it could be? Thank you.

This started to happen without altering anything in the computer configuration, no peripherals were installed etc.

At boot, bios will load, then Win10 logo appears with spinning dots but after a few seconds the dots freeze and nothing will happen. I tried creating a USB bootable media but the same exact thing happens. If I try to enter repair mode the system freezes on the "preparing automatic repair" screen.

I removed the SSD and tried it on a different PC and it's booting with no problems.

Motherboard is Asus P5GD2-X

Any idea what it could be? Thank you.
On the working pc put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Make sure it boots and runs.
Take the flash stick to the problem pc and see if it will boot.
If it does let it run no errors allowed.

Reactions: Grobe

andreamit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2015
On the working pc put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Make sure it boots and runs.
Take the flash stick to the problem pc and see if it will boot.
If it does let it run no errors allowed.
I created a bootable usb of memtest, confirmed it works on my primary pc and tried to start it on the computer having that problem.

Now it gets stuck at "Loading operating system" and the blinking underscore.

Do you think it could be a ram problem? There are G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-8GBRM on it. I tried putting just a single 4gb ram block on it but same things happens.

Last edited:
I created a bootable usb of memtest, confirmed it works on my primary pc and tried to start it on the computer having that problem.

Now it gets stuck at "Loading operating system" and the blinking underscore.

Do you think it could be a ram problem? There are G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-8GBRM on it. I tried putting just a single 4gb ram block on it but same things happens.
Assuming your booting from the flash stick then it's not a windows problem.

Unplug all disk....test.

What other parts are in this pc?

TRENDING THREADS