[SOLVED] PC won't boot to Windows after MOBO + CPU Upgrade ?

Binhwin

Prominent
Nov 11, 2019
Hello guys. I'm wondering if you guys may be able to help me out. After doing a mobo + CPU swap in my built I no longer can boot windows properly. When ever I try to boot windows to the same drive that I was using prior it does not work. I want to ensure that it's known that I didn't wipe the drive and start fresh rather I just reconnected my ssd to the new mobo. ( could clarify further if needed). Ultimately now since adding the new components it's wont boot up to windows though I do have access to bios. Is there any tips you guys could give.
Is it better to start with a fresh drive that's wiped and install OS on there?

Corsair 750 Watt PSU
GTX 1070
i5 9600k
16gb ddr4
500 gig ssd (also bought a fresh 1 tb nvme for the build)
Msi z390a
Also please move the post if it is not within the correct spot, I do not have the most experience posting on this site, I normally just view.

Solution
I also had this problem when I changed my Mobo. You actually need a fresh install of Windows coz it seems like the specific software needed by Windows to be compatible with a specific Mobo is installed while installing Windows (not sure about this but this is my theory coz it worked like a charm).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello guys. I'm wondering if you guys may be able to help me out. After doing a mobo + CPU swap in my built I no longer can boot windows properly. When ever I try to boot windows to the same drive that I was using prior it does not work. I want to ensure that it's known that I didn't wipe the drive and start fresh rather I just reconnected my ssd to the new mobo. ( could clarify further if needed). Ultimately now since adding the new components it's wont boot up to windows though I do have access to bios. Is there any tips you guys could give. IT's it better to start with a fresh drive that wiped and install os on there?
Corsair 750 Watt PSU
GTX 1070
i5 9600k
16gb ddr4
500 gig ssd (also bought a fresh 1 tb nvme for the build)
Msi z390a
Also please move the post if it is not within the correct spot, I do not have the most experience posting on this site, I normally just view.
You need to do a fresh install of windows.

It will wipe the drive so any data on the drive will be gone.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

akimikage

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I also had this problem when I changed my Mobo. You actually need a fresh install of Windows coz it seems like the specific software needed by Windows to be compatible with a specific Mobo is installed while installing Windows (not sure about this but this is my theory coz it worked like a charm).

Solution