Question PC Won't boot unless I select the drive manually

Dec 21, 2020
I was cleaning my computer today and my brother had touched my ssd/sata cable to see how to install it and almost knocked my computer over. (I caught it before it could fall). Since this happened, my ssd will not boot windows, and my system won't boot unless I manually click the drive. I unplugged all the cables from the ssd and replugged them in, and the same issue occurred. I put the sata cables into different ports and the same issue occurred. I took out the battery from my motherboard, and the issue still occurs. I did a complete windows wipe and cleaned my ssd and hdd, but the issue still occurs. Whenever I turn on my computer, my computers tries to boot up but instantly goes to select the device to boot from, and if I clicked the ssd it would say insert a bootable device. I went to the bios and set the boot drive to be my hdd but I still have to manually do everything. My ssd and hdd still work as I'm still able to download files to them. I'm fine with not having my ssd be able to boot from but I just want to be able to turn on my computer and have it boot automatically instead of having to manually click it every time to turn it on. My hdd is a seagate barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive , and my ssd is a team group GX 1 960 GB Solid State Drive. I also have a z390-A Pro motherboard if that helps. If I can provide any other information or pictures that would help let me know please! I'm really frustrated as I've spent the entire day trying to solve the issue but can't.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"my system won't boot unless I manually click the drive. "

Just what and where do you do that click?

What screen/window is being presented?

Have you tried another known working SSD cable(s) - power and data?

Disconnect all drives except the boot drive.

Doublecheck the boot drive installation instructions via the motherboard's User Manual.

Dec 21, 2020
This:

"my system won't boot unless I manually click the drive. "

Just what and where do you do that click?

What screen/window is being presented?

Have you tried another known working SSD cable(s) - power and data?

Disconnect all drives except the boot drive.

Doublecheck the boot drive installation instructions via the motherboard's User Manual.

I used different power and sata cables, but I still think my hdd and sdd work. I'm able to download things and use games etc... on both, but I can only boot off of my hdd. When I did my clean install and first installed windows on my sdd, the same picture that I linked popped up, which is what happens when I boot the pc up. I think my motherboard is damaged as I tried to update the bios. It recognized my flash drive but it wasn't able to identify the file in order to update the bios. I can't seem to post a picture with my comment so I'm just going to edit my original post.

TRENDING THREADS