[SOLVED] Pc wont boot unless i switch off the power

DrFiishy

Commendable
Dec 16, 2020
So to start off its an oldy motherboard (Asus M5a99X EVO R2.0) but its always been working fine for a pc thats almost never on anymore. Anyways since of today it started not booting up anymore so ive checked inside the case and saw it was still getting power so i started to mess around with it to see what the issue was

Changed outlet: No Boot
Changed front panel/power on button: No Boot
Removed 1 stick of ram: No boot
Removed the other stick of ram when puttin back in the other one: No Boot
Inserted a new CMOS battery: No Boot
Jumped the CLRTC pins: No Boot

But then i noticed that this hole time the ''bios_flbk'' LED was blinking so i thought well maybe thats the issue so i made a USB stick with the correct bios and stuck it in but after waiting for around 30min it was still blinking and not doing much else. But then comes the weird part i powered off the PSU and waited for all the lights to go off on the motherboard, switched it back on and then pressed the power button BEFORE it started blinking with the ''bios_flbk'' and it booted up just fine. It didn indicate that i had to resume to bios install which i did and everything was working fine afterwards. However when i shut down the PC and wanna boot it up again the same issue comes up with the ''bios_flbk'' blinking and the pc not booting.

At this point im not even sure wether its the motherboard or the PSU or anything else so what could be the issue here?

Solution
I would not bother to replace it. Anything you find that is compatible (AM3, AM3+, etc.) is going to be just as old as what you already have and unless you're willing to pay a stupidly astronomical price for a piece of 9 year old (At least) hardware (If you want a new board) it's going to be likely to have similar issues due to age either sooner or later.

If you are willing to pay for some upgrades to this system, something like this, while mild compared to today's standards, is miles ahead in terms of performance from what you have currently. Like, 68% better single core performance and 160% better multithreaded performance.

Wasn't sure of your country so used Germany but other EU countries should be somewhat similar...
I've encountered this before on this exact board. I think you'll likely end up assuming it's the same answer as well. Most likely I think, it's potentially something like a failing ROM since you've already replaced the CMOS battery. Did you test the new CMOS battery to make sure it wasn't weak or dead, because about two out of five CR2032 batteries I get, whether from Walmart or Amazon, comes already dead or at least weak right out of the package. These batteries are generally not really fast movers so they may sit unsold for quite a while sometimes. But if you're sure it's good, then ok.

DrFiishy

Commendable
Dec 16, 2020
I've encountered this before on this exact board. I think you'll likely end up assuming it's the same answer as well. Most likely I think, it's potentially something like a failing ROM since you've already replaced the CMOS battery. Did you test the new CMOS battery to make sure it wasn't weak or dead, because about two out of five CR2032 batteries I get, whether from Walmart or Amazon, comes already dead or at least weak right out of the package. These batteries are generally not really fast movers so they may sit unsold for quite a while sometimes. But if you're sure it's good, then ok.

Hmm so its either the CMOS or just a messed up motherboard? Cause its weird that even with changing the battery and doing everything i did (including re-installing the bios) i have to switch off the PSU, wait for the lights to go off, switch on the PSU and then push the power button before the bios_flbk starts to flash.

Its gonna be quite costly to replace it aswell since the cheapest stuff i could find (CPU,Motherboard,RAM) was around 300€ haha

I would not bother to replace it. Anything you find that is compatible (AM3, AM3+, etc.) is going to be just as old as what you already have and unless you're willing to pay a stupidly astronomical price for a piece of 9 year old (At least) hardware (If you want a new board) it's going to be likely to have similar issues due to age either sooner or later.

If you are willing to pay for some upgrades to this system, something like this, while mild compared to today's standards, is miles ahead in terms of performance from what you have currently. Like, 68% better single core performance and 160% better multithreaded performance.

Wasn't sure of your country so used Germany but other EU countries should be somewhat similar.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€105.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€108.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€52.90 @ Alza)
Total: €266.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-20 18:58 CET+0100

Reactions: DrFiishy
Solution

DrFiishy

Commendable
Dec 16, 2020

Wasn't sure of your country so used Germany but other EU countries should be somewhat similar.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€105.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€108.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€52.90 @ Alza)
Total: €266.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-20 18:58 CET+0100

Am in The Netherlands so having stuff from Germany is more then fine hehe

266€ is a fair amount id say for a ''casual'' upgrade. Aslong as it works and doesnt give too much issues, thank you so much for helping out! Was really scratching my head over this one

I wouldn't say that's a "casual" upgrade. It's a pretty serious upgrade from what you have now assuming (Since I don't know what CPU model you have) that you are running an FX-8350. And for only about 20 euros more you could jump up to the 5600G which has significantly better performance than even that 4600G.