Question PC won't boot up after trying to install new RAM

Jan 5, 2020
My PC was working fine, but then I tried to install a new RAM and then it failed to boot up. It makes 1 long beep then 2 short beeps. I switched back to my regular RAM that was working before but the same problem is happening now. How do I fix this?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @Tinizel

The RAM alone more than likely won't be the cause of the no-post issue you are having. Especially since it was working up until the new RAM was installed. Possibly something was jostled while the old RAM/new RAM was installed/uninstalled.

Was the PC off when you installed/uninstalled the RAM? Same type as your system had previously?

Have you reset your CMOS?

Have you triple checked that everything is connected correctly? Power cables & the like?

Obviously the old RAM was installed correctly AND in the correct slots? How much RAM do you have and have you tried 1 stick at a time?

Please list out your exact hardware so we know what you have.

Jan 5, 2020
Hi @Tinizel

The RAM alone more than likely won't be the cause of the no-post issue you are having. Especially since it was working up until the new RAM was installed. Possibly something was jostled while the old RAM/new RAM was installed/uninstalled.

Was the PC off when you installed/uninstalled the RAM? Same type as your system had previously?

Have you reset your CMOS?

Have you triple checked that everything is connected correctly? Power cables & the like?

Obviously the old RAM was installed correctly AND in the correct slots? How much RAM do you have and have you tried 1 stick at a time?

Please list out your exact hardware so we know what you have.

Hi

Yes the PC was off when I installed/uninstalled the RAM. They are both DDR4 Ram sticks.

I haven't rest my CMOS (I don't know what that is or how to do that - I'm a PC noob lol)

All I'm putting in at the moment is the power supply to see if it boots up without any problems/sounds/beeps.

Yeah I put the RAM in the correct slot it was in before. I have 4GB RAM and I'm trying to add another 4GB to it. However right now, I'm just trying to get my PC to be functional again because as you said, something may have jolted during installing.

I know nothing about PC's so here's what I found:
Desktop-4V85GVD
Processor: Intel core I5-6400 CPU @ 2.70Ghz
Ram: 4gb (3.88gb usable)
System type: 64 bit

That's my specs

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Thanks for the update.

While reinstalling the RAM, did the black clips on both sides click into place? I'm sure you noticed the small cut-out roughly in the middle of the RAM where it plugs into your motherboard? If this doesn't match up, one side may clip into place but not the other and so it'll not post. (turn on)

Did you unplug anything prior to installing the new RAM?

Jan 5, 2020
Thanks for the update.

While reinstalling the RAM, did the black clips on both sides click into place? I'm sure you noticed the small cut-out roughly in the middle of the RAM where it plugs into your motherboard? If this doesn't match up, one side may clip into place but not the other and so it'll not post. (turn on)

Did you unplug anything prior to installing the new RAM?

Yeah i put the clips back on i didn't unplug anything either. I can try posting an image of the inside of my hardware?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Yeah i put the clips back on i didn't unplug anything either. I can try posting an image of the inside of my hardware?

Try something for me 1st please.

Unplug the power from the back of your PC and then press & hold the power switch for 5 sec.

Ground yourself (touch something metal) and then remove the side cover on your case. (if it's not already off)

You see the small round flat silver/chrome battery on your motherboard? Usually it's in the lower 1/3 of the motherboard. See here for a pic. I'd like for you to remove the battery for approx 15mins and wait. This will clear the current CMOS settings back to default. (it'll set everything back to it's stock factory setting, such as the CPU speed and the RAM speed to stock.) Use extreme caution you do not scratch anything while removing the battery. It'll easily pop right out, just be patient.

Re-Install the battery, the old RAM and check once more everything is plugged in/connected and then plug the power back in and turn on your PC. Let me know what happens.

Last edited: